• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Leak at oil filter cap / housing

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Did an oil change, start the truck, see a pretty significant class III leak. It’s at the oil filter housing / cap.

I figure the new o-ring that came with the new filter (Mobil 1) is bad, so I went out and bought another whole filter kit ($$ lol). The new o-ring didn’t work either, and neither o-ring looked bad anyway.

The plastic filter cap threads or the threads inside the housing are damaged, I assume. I did a thorough cleaning and inspection of both areas and no visible damaged threads.

So, wtf is the problem, I’m thinking? Can the plastic filter cap get warped from heat or from tightening it too much? Is my cap warped?

I kind of felt defeated and also hoped it would be the $40 plastic cap and not the aluminum housing attached to the engine. My plan was to order a new one and see what happens.

I put everything back together so nothing would drip on the driveway and figured let me turn the truck on one more time to have a look.

Guess what? It did end up being the plastic cap but not in the way I expected. It seems to be leaking out of a small crack in the plastic, which wasn’t as obvious the first time, but now shown clearly in the photo below.

I’ll try to get the new cap this weekend if Toyota has them in stock. Just posting for anyone’s future searches.

EF98A180-9908-44B4-B44A-446534E70453.jpeg

AB25D68A-92A7-426E-A132-487F9E084DF8.jpeg

A2A32C48-15E4-4E67-9A45-5325F76DE8E5.png

Yuup you'll have that sometimes in the cold with these plastic housings. I think the tundras have an aluminum housing replacement. I wonder if we do as well.

Upvote 0
This is real Toyota genuine? Is it meant for the Tundra but fits on the Taco?
Yes, a genuine OEM Toyota part. Maybe a universal part? I grabbed mine on Amazon. I'll double check the part number.
Then had the dealership throw it on during those free oil changes.

Yeah, it's

15620-31060.​

If you look at compatibility...
1676082617058.png

But when you look at it for 15620-31060, it doesn't list Tacoma for some reason. But that's how it always it with these parts listings. But it fits @Tyler, I swur.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, a genuine OEM Toyota part. Maybe a universal part? I grabbed mine on Amazon. I'll double check the part number.
Then had the dealership throw it on during those free oil changes.

Yeah, it's

15620-31060.​

If you look at compatibility...
1676082617058.png

But when you look at it for 15620-31060, it doesn't list Tacoma for some reason. But that's how it always it with these parts listings. But it fits @Tyler, I swur.
Right on. Gonna order one of these bad boys in that case.

(you’re banned from the forum if it doesn’t work)

Upvote 0
Use a torque wrench as well,
Plastic may crack but metal to metal can cause damage to the upper housing.
(thats why they use a plastic one) if you damage the upper threads things get expensive.

Upvote 0
Use a torque wrench as well,
Plastic may crack but metal to metal can cause damage to the upper housing.
(thats why they use a plastic one) if you damage the upper threads things get expensive.
This was a thought that went through my mind with the metal one. Part of me wanted to stick with plastic because of this but the other part of me thinks I might be able to do it without damaging threads. I say *might* because I usually break everything when I work.

Upvote 0
This was a thought that went through my mind with the metal one. Part of me wanted to stick with plastic because of this but the other part of me thinks I might be able to do it without damaging threads. I say *might* because I usually break everything when I work.
I stayed with the plastic spare,
heres the plug and housing ,.... just in case

Heres my Toyota site,.... you can change to a closer Toyota Dealer

2022 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport SR-5 GLX Cap assembly, oil filter. Plastic - 1562036020 | Gatorland Toyota, Gainesville FL (https://parts.gatorlandtoyota.com/productdetails.aspx?makeName=toyota&modelYear=2022&modelName=tacoma-double-cab-trd-sport-sr-5-glx&stockNumber=1562036020&ukey_product=62914430&referer=parts.toyota.com&machineIDT1=02pvu35b2xaz2bndmzcgtekr)
1676146067276.png

1676146131826.png

1676146233056.png

Upvote 0
Would it be this one? Just checking because it’s plastic in the photo but based on the reviews, you do get the aluminum one.

Genuine Toyota 15620-31060 Oil Filter Cap Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BHP68A/?tag=tacoma3g-20
Amazon is blocked where I'm at. Just order the one with the metal one in the photo? I'd assume the part number should all be metal. Since a different material would be a different part number.

I figured just start threading it on by hand and it shouldn't cross thread.

Upvote 0
Am I a sucker for wanting this?

I got one from Amazon for free before. But this thing is just sexy.
Maybe even if there a CNC billet aluminum one. But I bet that might just be more than what it's worth.
Anyone use that Fumoto valve or the Baxter Adapter?

I have a Fumoto just sitting around waiting to be installed.

Upvote 0

Maybe even if there a CNC billet aluminum one. But I bet that might just be more than what it's worth.

I have the filter tool and bought it from the manufacture, the drain tool/hose is a must.
1676752739918.png

Two good reasons other than it's a good tool, ..... Made in the USA - At a small business.

Upvote 0
I have the filter tool and bought it from the manufacture, the drain tool/hose is a must.
1676752739918.png

Two good reasons other than it's a good tool, ..... Made in the USA - At a small business.
The Fumoto and Drain Tool looks like a must have. Maybe I'll start doing my oil changes. Lol. I really feel like it's cheaper just to have someone else do it.

Upvote 0
Drain tool? You mean it’s not supposed to roll down your wrench and onto your arm and up your sleeve?

Upvote 0
Drain tool? You mean it’s not supposed to roll down your wrench and onto your arm and up your sleeve?
Don’t let one drop hit the driveway or the epa will be up your ass. They’re really on top of spills these days.

Upvote 0
Don’t let one drop hit the driveway or the epa will be up your ass. They’re really on top of spills these days.
Good thing they didn't see the mess I made a few weeks ago when I knocked over a full gallon of ATF o_O

Upvote 0

This type would fit on the filter cap on the Taco? I have the other type of wrench.

Upvote 0
I see. Maybe my using of the old style wrench is the reason mine cracked lol
Highly possible. Maybe the tool's tolerances were slighty off or a coating was thicker in that spot making all the pressure focused on that spot alone.
I'd think the MotivX one has more consistent tolerances. OEM housing and with the tool shouldn't strip. Logical.

Upvote 0
Back