• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Laptop car mounts?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I use my laptop in my truck a lot but it isn’t very comfortable. I was thinking about however police cars mount their computers, or even if there’s something that could mount to my @ExpeditionEssentials rail. Or maybe this thing on Amazon. Any suggestions?

IMG_2444.jpeg

I think it might be too much weight to put on that mount. If it's mounted like my DMM, it's just mounted to the bezel.

I'm assuming just from this, it's not supposed to be weight bearing...
I see it has extension bracket mounts, but they don't seem solid enough for laptop weight.
The 3TPAM will support full size tablets or iPads, it is recommended to use short arms with these devices
To add it to it would be easy. Just get a RAM ball-mount to the laptop base. Then T-nut to the extrusion with the RAM arm.

RAM makes a no-drill mount:

Seems expensive.

Here's one way to do it. Lol. Mad gawty. I'd be worry about warping and breaking the plastic.

If it was me, I would want to do it right. Either fabricate my own mount and utilize the seats.
This would be a solid start IMO:

I have a front multi panel mount from Desert Does It that does unused. But it is a solid mounting point.
Their seat jackers are threaded in the front. So that gives a solid mounting point to bolt something down.
Then buy a simple laptop desk mount from Amazon. Looks like the base is 2 pieces. I would remove the button, drill holes to bolt it directly to the seat jackers or could probably bend the plate to fit under the seat mount. Maybe even make a long plate to go under both seat mounts. If you do single, just find a spacer or something the same thickness for the other side.
You can probably find a good deal on these in the used section. Sometimes missing parts, but that's ok. Easy hardware swap. This mainly for the arm.
Can use the holes in the base for retention. Maybe velcro straps or pegs. Ooooh. I have a lot of webbing. Could make you something with a buckle. Easy on and off. Vivo is pretty popular, I have some of their stuff and have modified it for my specific purposes.
Could also grab a clamp mount. They seem to be pretty cheap.
1685484542207.png

1685484134680.png

This one seems like a good candidate since it looks to have a lot of functions and extends.
1685484625711.png
1685484660815.png

Then of course I came across this after brainstorming...

This one looks pretty nifty.

A lot of different ways to mount and can be done without buying them. Use hardware. Spacers. Brackets. So Desert Does It mounts add functionality and allow to add other stuff with or later. Either way it seems like it would be about the same cost wise.
Always check Amazon Warehouse dealers. Open box returns and stuff. Sometimes that stuff goes cheap. Also check eBay. Sometimes people part out the return pallets. I've found monitor mounts on Amazon for $150-$200. Quick search on eBay and they showed up for $50. Luckily they included all the parts.

Unethical life hack, you could also always order from Amazon after buying the same mount. Grab what's missing and free return it saying it was missing. Don't feel guilty. It's Amazon. Usually it's just missing just the mounting hardware or plastic covers which you don't really need. So that's an easy replacement from the store. Budget mounting ideas. Also instead of having it in front of the seat, might be able to go to the side between the console and seat. Sometimes you just might need a slightly longer bolt. So you can do the mount on top of the seat brackets. Then you retain factory mount height. Do you have seat jackers on any seats now? Worth checking out. I assume you're a tall guy, but depending on how the seat gets angled could provide more head room. Also changes the way the seat feels. Comfort wise. I installed a set and it relieved a lot of pressure off my lower back somehow. Many others report the same benefits of comfort.

Also if you're not in a rush Alibaba/AliExpress are pretty good sources. Luckily I've been sourcing things out from them and get it within 8-10 days. Maybe it's because I'm paying shipping. Just watch the shipping Alibaba might charge $20-$50 for shipping, because they are geared towards resellers. Sometimes it's worth it to order a "Sample" and pay shipping. AliExpress is more for consumers. I use both. You'll see a lot of things on Amazon come from there.

1685485103522.png
1685485110120.png
1685485136787.png
1685485128506.png

Then there's also the steering wheel trays. If you only have it out when parked.

Lol. I think this is a satellite mount. Lol.
1685485993037.png

I wonder if these are mounted to the metal body or just the plastics. How sturdy they are and how much weight they can support. Another option to check out. Most of them seem to just mount to plastic which I would avoid.

OOOOOOHHHHH SHIT! Just had a thought.
Remember those 5 panel rearview mirrors in the import cars? What if you installed spacers and mounted it straight across on the vanity mirror mounting points?
But instead of the mirror, use an extrusion bar. Then you can mount anything anywhere all the way across. Since you're tall, might get in the way though.
1685487530450.png

Last edited:
@bonifacio thats such a ridiculously well written reply that I haven’t even had the time to fully go through it all yet.

@bonifacio thats such a ridiculously well written reply that I haven’t even had the time to fully go through it all yet.

I just like to problem solve/think of solutions. Coming up with things that look clean and are good quality.
Then I just start digging. So a lot of it is just rambling. Basically an idea board. Part of my brainstorming process when trying to come up with things.
Main projects right now are digtial night vision and dry fire trainer with recoil...

I just like to problem solve/think of solutions. Coming up with things that look clean and are good quality.
Then I just start digging. So a lot of it is just rambling. Basically an idea board. Part of my brainstorming process when trying to come up with things.
Main projects right now are digtial night vision and dry fire trainer with recoil...
Would you be interested in helping me collect frequently asked questions and their answers, about Tacoma stuff? Or finding threads and/or posts from the forum that have very useful information in them?

I really want to have dedicated pages for this type of information. But I have been out of the loop as far as where the best info can be sourced, and I’m even out of the loop on what commonly asked questions are nowadays.

I have a laptop in my Tahoe (dept, vehicle) it uses a factory seat bolt for mounting,... it also has a brace midway up the support arm that goes to the fire wall under the dash area.
That brace is critical in support from shaking and swaying. (it came with the laptop vehicle table)
I do not know the name of it as it is not on the table and was purchased by the dept, but when you see one you will know its the real thing.
All cheapos work well when parked.,...... its the driving part that makes the difference in stability.
Just my 2 cents.

I have a laptop in my Tahoe (dept, vehicle) it uses a factory seat bolt for mounting,... it also has a brace midway up the support arm that goes to the fire wall under the dash area.
That brace is critical in support from shaking and swaying. (it came with the laptop vehicle table)
I do not know the name of it as it is not on the table and was purchased by the dept, but when you see one you will know its the real thing.
All cheapos work well when parked.,...... its the driving part that makes the difference in stability.
Just my 2 cents.
Can I see a picture of that setup?

You can see how I have it "pressed-against and between" the front seat and arm rest using the firewall brace.

After I drove it when it was installed it still had some movement on bumpy roads.
Pressing the upstand between and against the seat/ arm rest solved the issues at higher speeds.

Back