• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Kings 2.5 with adjusters

jhipwundah

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Cement
Hey guys, just had some Kings 2.5 ext travel with comp adjusters installed few weeks back and had a question... For pavement/daily driving, should the adjuster be dialed all the way to the softest setting?

And as for off roading (Oahu, Hawaii), how many clicks (on average) should I dial it towards the firmer setting where I’d notice a difference?

Depends on you yourself how you want your vehicle to handle, and also your vehicles weight and if your running a sway bar. Theres so many variables that each person's setup is gonna be different.

This is my setup: NO Sway bar so I dial my road settings at 10, dunes I crank up to the highest (I think 30 or something), trails I soften completely. Im also running 700lb springs with the truck. I also have the shocks custom valved for the environment I mostly drive in (dunes), and thatll make a big difference in your compression adjuster settings.

suspension setup.jpg

Right, I understand every Tacoma's setup will vary. I'm running the 650# coils and as far as extra weight added (besides the wheels/tires), I have sliders, front skid plate and bed racks so not a whole lot.

For pavement, I just have it cranked all the way to the softest setting (as I don't want the ride to be any firmer than it already is on the road lol).

No sand dunes here on Oahu, but mainly rocky, sand trails with minor whoops.

I guess messing with the dial is the only way for me to find out when it's time to hit the trails (maybe crank it 4-10 clicks?).

Right, I understand every Tacoma's setup will vary. I'm running the 650# coils and as far as extra weight added (besides the wheels/tires), I have sliders, front skid plate and bed racks so not a whole lot.

For pavement, I just have it cranked all the way to the softest setting (as I don't want the ride to be any firmer than it already is on the road lol).

No sand dunes here on Oahu, but mainly rocky, sand trails with minor whoops.

I guess messing with the dial is the only way for me to find out when it's time to hit the trails (maybe crank it 4-10 clicks?).
exactly...best way to figure out what your asking is to just get out and try it for yourself and see what feels best with the truck! :)

Are you still running a sway bar?

Hey guys, just had some Kings 2.5 ext travel with comp adjusters installed few weeks back and had a question... For pavement/daily driving, should the adjuster be dialed all the way to the softest setting?

And as for off roading (Oahu, Hawaii), how many clicks (on average) should I dial it towards the firmer setting where I’d notice a difference?

All the way open, turned to the left would probably be the preference for most. Some may notice a difference between the clicks, but it would be more or so minimal at city/daily speeds and factors. I personally had mine at 8-10 clicks stiffer from the softest setting.

As for off-roading, it is dependent on your environment and driving. I would definitely recommend stiffen up your co/shock to adjust to your liking of performance/ride quality over some of the bigger bumps/imperfections such as a wash section or whoops.

exactly...best way to figure out what your asking is to just get out and try it for yourself and see what feels best with the truck! :)

Are you still running a sway bar?
Yes, still running the sway bar. Not sure if I want to remove it (just yet).

Yes, still running the sway bar. Not sure if I want to remove it (just yet).
As the others have said, your shock setting is pretty much personal preference based off of trial and error.

As for the swaybar — removing it drastically decreases your handling, especially on a curvy highway doing over 60mph. Unless you’re doing trails that have a lot of difficult obstacles, you should leave it.

Back