• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Kindle Fire Tablet for Maps?

sdsponger

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Curious if anyone is using one of the Kindle Fire tablets for their mapping apps? Since they are android based and cheap, I'm thinking about giving one a try.

Thanks

Curious if anyone is using one of the Kindle Fire tablets for their mapping apps? Since they are android based and cheap, I'm thinking about giving one a try.

Thanks
Dont qoute me on this but I'm pretty sure the new ones although they run android , they dont come with Google's apps like Google maps and YouTube and would have to be downloaded via .apk files. But I think they may have there own Amazon map dont know how good it is
Amazon and Google had falling out over some things

Dont qoute me on this but I'm pretty sure the new ones although they run android , they dont come with Google's apps like Google maps and YouTube and would have to be downloaded via .apk files. But I think they may have there own Amazon map dont know how good it is
Amazon and Google had falling out over some things

Good this is you can install the Google app store without rooting the device (https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/). I'm now trying to figure if their GPS/location services will be enough to used a map app like Gaia or Backcountry. I'm gonna do some testing on my Fire 8 this weekend and will report back.

Plz do I was just looking at the fire table cause it's in sale

So, best I can find is that if you want to use a Kindle Fire tablet for GPS, you'll need to get a good GPS receiver with bluetooth to connect to the Kindle. The built in chip isn't a true GPS chip and uses wifi for location based services.

Fire HD 8" is $79 and the better GPS receivers are about the same, so looking around $160. That's about $30 cheaper than a Samsung tablet with a built in GPS chip. Right now I'm leaning towards the Samsung route.

We went with a Samsung Tab A 10.1" for our mapping needs. The GPS is dead on on it and it has enough storage space for us to download all the offline maps we need for a a trip. Imo it was much simpler to just pay a bit more for a tablet with the GPS feature you need built in than trying to deal with a receiver and then dealing with any short comings or connectivity issues.

I would agree to go through your service provider pay a bit more for a tablet with built in gps and download Gaia and maps.me

Back