• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Kid Seats & Leather

hallux

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
Alright bois...

My child is due in April, I need to put a car seat in my truck but I've got black leather. I'm worried about the base / seat damaging the leather - anyone got any tips?

Alright bois...

My child is due in April, I need to put a car seat in my truck but I've got black leather. I'm worried about the base / seat damaging the leather - anyone got any tips?
The cheapest thing probably lay down a towel underneath? Or seat cover?

Speaking as a firefighter who installs these everyday for people... Keep in mind that child safety seats are designed to be installed on the seats and not on a towel or plywood/plexiglass. Check the manufacturer recommendations of the seat and the truck. I wouldn’t risk the safety of my child just because you don’t want creases in your leather. But that’s just my opinion.

Speaking as a firefighter who installs these everyday for people... Keep in mind that child safety seats are designed to be installed on the seats and not on a towel or plywood/plexiglass. Check the manufacturer recommendations of the seat and the truck. I wouldn’t risk the safety of my child just because you don’t want creases in your leather. But that’s just my opinion.
That’s what I was thinking when I made my suggest. Good that you confirmed it.

That’s what I was thinking when I made my suggest. Good that you confirmed it.
Some car seat manufacturers make a pad that will go under their seats that the seats are tested and rated for. But any other aftermarket things I would steer clear of. I had a Silverado with leather seats when my kid was born and in car seats with no protection between them. When I traded it in for my Taco there was no sign of creases.

Haha I had already thought about that (as I too am a firefighter whose house installs far too many daily lol) and have reached out to my wifes cousin who works for the seat manufacture we bought from.

Back