• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Is CO2 worth it?

406Camper

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR AC Auto
Quicksand
Just checked prices for CO2 cylinders in my area. Holly smokes!!! $47 to fill a 10 lb cylinder. And the 10 lb'ers are pretty rare. Is it worth it when you add the cost of the cylinder or powertank system (~$400 basic system). I saw some guys filling up quickly (3x faster) with CO2 in Moab, but I don't know if I can justify those costs.
If you only get about 16 tire fills per 10 lb. cylinder with 33's, that's only 4 trips. 5lb cylinders are about $200, I couldn't find any 10 lb. in my area.
Any one care to share their thoughts?

One time purchase. A little slower, but no need for refills.
56583FE2-79E4-49A2-8E1E-2E732161A869.jpeg

Just checked prices for CO2 cylinders in my area. Holly smokes!!! $47 to fill a 10 lb cylinder. And the 10 lb'ers are pretty rare. Is it worth it when you add the cost of the cylinder or powertank system (~$400 basic system). I saw some guys filling up quickly (3x faster) with CO2 in Moab, but I don't know if I can justify those costs.
If you only get about 16 tire fills per 10 lb. cylinder with 33's, that's only 4 trips. 5lb cylinders are about $200, I couldn't find any 10 lb. in my area.
Any one care to share their thoughts?
I love my Power Tanks! The VAIR is mostly for back up....

You can find cheaper C02 tanks off amazon, I bought mine for $100 and found a 50psi regulator on ebay for $30 and havent had any issues. $30 fillup costs from praxair local to me (holland, MI).

From my experience with C02 vs comressor, the C02 wins everytime with the quickness of filling up the tires...I would rather pay the C02 fillup costs than wait 20-30 minutes to just fill up tires. I have the compressor as a backup to my C02 just in case there isnt enough.

BFG recently showed a system that allows you to air up or down while driving. I can't find much info but it looks like the techi crowd will eat it up.

I love my power tank setup. The 10lb bottle is enough for me. I just like the versatility of having a mobile air system. If someone else needs to fill a tire I can just walk it over. Or I can use it in my garage or around the house for random things. I don’t think I’ve spent over $25 to fill but that’s going to be area dependent of course. I’m also not running an air locker. Though if I do get an air locker the power tank could be used to engage it. I’m not against a compressor and may even add one one day. I just think the tank setup is more versatile and the price to fill up is justifiable.

CD50EF61-A80C-413C-95A3-1EE72B07B0D4.jpeg

Back