• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Increasing the Tongue Weight?

cambo139

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Hi I was wondering if anyone has any experience with increasing the tongue weight on the 3rd gens?

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any experience with increasing the tongue weight on the 3rd gens?
First of all, a Tacoma with the towing package has a tongue load of 640 pounds (10% of the towing capacity). While that is the approved tongue load of the truck, I certainly would never want to try to exceed or maybe even come close to that number. However, for a heavy tongue weight, you should think about a load leveling hitching system. This will keep the ass end of your truck from sinking.... The hitch weight of the trailer my wife bought is 393 pounds.

Upvote 0
Looking to tow a motorcycle and unfortunately my bike is roughly 550 lbs, I used to use a hitch carrier for my sports bike when I was using my sequoia.

Upvote 0
You'll be fine, but you may consider Sumo Springs for that application.

Upvote 0
Back