• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

"I never have a perfect alignment" Club

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I'll be member #1 and president of the club.

Many hours and many methods have went into trying to get a straight alignment on my truck to no avail. I think it might come down to the fact that my adjustable height coilovers are on two very different heights to compensate for the Taco lean and as a result the surrounding geometry is thrown off making the alignment close to impossible. All I can think to do is try other shops but I've mostly accepted that I get to take my hands of the wheel whenever the road curves to the left.

Anyone else?

Have you rotataed tires yet? My old STs pulled hard ...one did anyway. As long as it was on the back drove straight as an arrow....

Upvote 0
I wonder, have you checked for bent knuckles? I dont see why you wouldnt be able to get a correct alignment. Also, do you know the guys you have do the adjustments? I usually take em in some breakfast and coffee, they happily set the specs where I want.

Upvote 0
I wonder, have you checked for bent knuckles? I dont see why you wouldnt be able to get a correct alignment. Also, do you know the guys you have do the adjustments? I usually take em in some breakfast and coffee, they happily set the specs where I want.
Not checked for bent knuckles yet, no. I didn’t know the guy at first but I ended up knowing him because he tried about 5-6 times to get it done, using both the laser alignment and also manually adjusting different components to see if he could get a sweet spot.

We thought I had bad spacing on a UCA bushing but it ended up being the same on both sides so that shouldn’t be an issue. The ball joints were also brand new for this process.

Upvote 0
Not checked for bent knuckles yet, no. I didn’t know the guy at first but I ended up knowing him because he tried about 5-6 times to get it done, using both the laser alignment and also manually adjusting different components to see if he could get a sweet spot.

We thought I had bad spacing on a UCA bushing but it ended up being the same on both sides so that shouldn’t be an issue. The ball joints were also brand new for this process.
Yeah I would look into something being bent. Even when we toss a rack and have to get it replaced, the truck drives straight down the road and other than steer ahead, the alignment is still pretty good. Granted I dont know how tall you are comparatively, but my presumption is something is askew.

Upvote 0
Yeah I would look into something being bent. Even when we toss a rack and have to get it replaced, the truck drives straight down the road and other than steer ahead, the alignment is still pretty good. Granted I dont know how tall you are comparatively, but my presumption is something is askew.
I'll have a look at them. Do you think they could be bent even if the naked eye can't see it?

Also, do you think the drastic difference in coilover preload on each side is a problem despite the truck actually having the same or close to the same center hub to fender measurements?

Upvote 0
I'll have a look at them. Do you think they could be bent even if the naked eye can't see it?

Also, do you think the drastic difference in coilover preload on each side is a problem despite the truck actually having the same or close to the same center hub to fender measurements?
I think if your suspension is set up a good bit different on each side, but the measurement from those points is same, that is a sign that something is not right. The adjsutment in suspension is fixing the result of something, you need to find the cause. And yes, you may not be able to see it just looking at it.

Upvote 0
I think if your suspension is set up a good bit different on each side, but the measurement from those points is same, that is a sign that something is not right. The adjsutment in suspension is fixing the result of something, you need to find the cause. And yes, you may not be able to see it just looking at it.
I assumed it was just that notorious Taco lean that seems to be inevitable after lifting these trucks a few inches. Did you not sit lower on your driver side after you lifted your truck?

Upvote 0
I assumed it was just that notorious Taco lean that seems to be inevitable after lifting these trucks a few inches. Did you not sit lower on your driver side after you lifted your truck?
Not initially. We have a slight diver lean now, after 2 years of some super good wheeling, but its in our leaf pack on that side.

Upvote 0
Not initially. We have a slight diver lean now, after 2 years of some super good wheeling, but its in our leaf pack on that side.
Gotcha. Mine was pretty obnoxious when I did my first lift with the Blistein 5100s I used to have. Not sure if this photo does it justice:
1575146512345.png

Upvote 0
I dunno, always a tradeoff. Having a lot of solid axle Jeeps around, when it gets fast offroad, the Taco and Tundra just own it. But then in the rocks...

Upvote 0
Back