• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

I hate the transmission; Need a tune

OliviousMaximus

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
I absolutely love my 3rd gen but i despise the transmission. The gear hunting is really R E A L L Y annoying and i need a tune or something to remedy this. I especially notice it when i'm in cruise control.

I'm in the San Diego, CA area and need someone to help with this issue.

Anyone in SD that tunes and/or has a tune n can show me?

Please get back at me

name
Quoc Pham/TK-421 Tuning Inc. (Orange County, CA)
description
TK-421 Tuning

Coverage Areas: Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Inland Empire

E-Mail: tk421tuning@gmail.com

Web: www.tk421tuning.com
FB: www.facebook.com/tk421tuning
IG: www.instagram.com/tk421tuning

I'd go to a tuner now.

You could do it yourself, but then you're paying for the Tuning Kit and then the tune.
Tunes flashed is about what the kit costs.

Ask the tuner questions. They'll be able to help you pick one better suited to your needs. Some will let you test them out and provide updates.

I'm in San Diego and can get your truck driving light years better.

Shoot me a message.

First time poster, I am in the same boat. I hate the transmission “hunting” so I am wondering about a tune. Looks like there is a KDMax tuner not too far away. If you don’t mind sharing, what is the approximate cost of a tune? Thanks!

First time poster, I am in the same boat. I hate the transmission “hunting” so I am wondering about a tune. Looks like there is a KDMax tuner not too far away. If you don’t mind sharing, what is the approximate cost of a tune? Thanks!
I think it's usually around $400-$450 to have it tuned by a tuner.

Confirmed. I paid $450 for OTT, but I am in a very remote area. Not many tuners in MT.

Just curious, what happens when it comes time for a smog check?

No smog check in Montana. But I have heard that it doesn't matter. Shouldn't be detectable.
The tune guys on this forum can confirm that.

Strictly for a smog check, if you don't remove the cats it's going to be fine - if anything it makes the truck MORE efficient.

Back