• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

I’m looking for toyota tacomas for my first vehicle, i’m 16

St33l

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Does anyone have any things to look for specifically, ie: don’t get it if it has more than x miles on it, or avoid these years, granted when i get it will be a while, i just want to know how to search for my best options and get to know the market before i make my selection

For a 3rd Gen you safe with a 2000 - 2023 all the bugs have been worked out by 2000.
Manual Transmissions are rare BUT great!
V6 is a must by most owners as is a 4X4 driveline.
Access Cab vs Double Cab is an owner preferred option.... so is the 5- or 6-foot bed.

The TRD line is pretty nice from the factory............... Off-Road / Sport / Pro
If you are going to do your own lift and tires and other stuff the SR5 is a good Sub-Model at a lower purchase price.

I have a 2022 TRD Sport - MT - V6 - 4X4 - Double Cab Short Bed (5') in Super White.

For a 3rd Gen you safe with a 2000 - 2023 all the bugs have been worked out by 2000.
Access Cab vs Double Cab is an owner preferred option.... so is the 5- or 6-foot bed.

The TRD line is pretty nice from the factory............... Off-Road / Sport / Pro
If you are going to do your own lift and tires and other stuff the SR5 is a good Sub-Model at a lower purchase price.

I have a 2022 TRD Sport - MT - V6 - 4X4 - Double Cab Short Bed (5') in Super White.
I have a cousin that did mechanic on trucks, i was told similar stuff, go with V6 nothing less, AWD is must, access cab is enough for me, i might do double bc i have siblings though, and i want something similar to my grandfathers trucks (2012 tacoma, trd prerunner sr5) just not as old, and as long as I don’t have to learn clutch i’m chill, and i’m probably gonna do an sr5 to give myself the option to mod it later

Forgot to add this, preferably 15k and under, 10k is too low for the markets rn (i’ve been looking around for a while) and while 15k still seems high, with a 4k minimum down (if i can do more down I absolutely will)and decent credit score i get a monthly that is super manageable for me

2nd Gen Tacoma's are awsome trucks as well.
Dont be scared of a 50,000-mile Tacoma,... that's only 10 oil changes.
15,000 miles is VERY early for most people to sell or trade. The truck still smells new!

Look at Auto Trader for the even market prices,

My bad man, i shoulda clarified that, the 10 and 15k is money, my cousin has seen tacomas get to a 500k miles and work brand new, my grandfathers has like 300k on it and it runs like new, frame rusted through and bc he qualified he got a brand new frame for free, in terms of mileage to money, $15k or less for sub 100k miles would be preferred

My bad man, i shoulda clarified that, the 10 and 15k is money, my cousin has seen tacomas get to a 500k miles and work brand new, my grandfathers has like 300k on it and it runs like new, frame rusted through and bc he qualified he got a brand new frame for free, in terms of mileage to money, $15k or less for sub 100k miles would be preferred
I'm sure you'll be fine just grabbing one without the obvious red flags.
When buying used don't limit yourself to a SR5. Prices will be similar. You just get a few more features with the O/R trim.
Modding will be the same. When you find one, just take your cousin with you. Simple.

I'm sure you'll be fine just grabbing one without the obvious red flags.
When buying used don't limit yourself to a SR5. Prices will be similar. You just get a few more features with the O/R trim.
Modding will be the same. When you find one, just take your cousin with you. Simple.
What do you mean O/R trim?

Back