• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Hypertech issues

mgmyota

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
So I recently installed the hypertech speedometer recalibrator. I downloaded the software and made sure everything was up to date like the instructions said. I put my tire and gear info but I haven’t seen any correction in the speedometer. In fact I think it made it even more off lol. I contacted the manufacturer but they only came back saying to return it or exchange it… not helpful. Hopefully someone here can help out more.

Solution
Got this issue figured out pretty much. Recalibrated it and only put in the tire sizes. Did not put in the gear ratios. Not sure why they give you that option if it doesn’t help at all lol. I’m about dead on now with my speed compared to a gps app. At most maybe 1 or 2 mph off if anything
Got this issue figured out pretty much. Recalibrated it and only put in the tire sizes. Did not put in the gear ratios. Not sure why they give you that option if it doesn’t help at all lol. I’m about dead on now with my speed compared to a gps app. At most maybe 1 or 2 mph off if anything

Upvote 1
Solution
So I recently installed the hypertech speedometer recalibrator. I downloaded the software and made sure everything was up to date like the instructions said. I put my tire and gear info but I haven’t seen any correction in the speedometer. In fact I think it made it even more off lol. I contacted the manufacturer but they only came back saying to return it or exchange it… not helpful. Hopefully someone here can help out more.
Just installed mine and same problem here. Nothing ever goes smooth for me.

Upvote 0
I was thinking I would try it this way next. Glad I kept my dash apart during my test drive. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I was thinking I would try it this way next. Glad I kept my dash apart during my test drive. Thanks!
dude leave the cable connected to the module and just tie up the other end so its out of the way of your pedals. You'll never need to take apart the dash again to use it. Idk why more people don't use this calibrator. It does seem to help the drivability

Upvote 0
Taking out the gear ratio adjustment did fix the problem and now the truck is on point with my phone’s gps. This is exciting because mine has been off by 7-15 mph (depending on speed) for like 3+ years lol.

Upvote 0
dude leave the cable connected to the module and just tie up the other end so its out of the way of your pedals. You'll never need to take apart the dash again to use it. Idk why more people don't use this calibrator. It does seem to help the drivability
100% agree and highly recommend.

And great info here that I read and found helpful before installing.

Thank you!

• Leave gear ratio blank
  • Keep USB installed and tucked under dash
  • input metric size for stock and actual measured size in inches for best accuracy.

Upvote 0
100% agree and highly recommend.

And great info here that I read and found helpful before installing.

Thank you!

• Leave gear ratio blank
  • Keep USB installed and tucked under dash
  • input metric size for stock and actual measured size in inches for best accuracy.

Under the dash? Mines behind the cluster gauge. Was the harness long enough? I need to go back and do something with mine. I think it might be causing a rattle. Oooooo the rattles.....

Upvote 0
Under the dash? Mines behind the cluster gauge. Was the harness long enough? I need to go back and do something with mine. I think it might be causing a rattle. Oooooo the rattles.....
Rattles and squeaks forever lol

Upvote 0
Back