• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Hyper Flashing

dh9x

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I'm at a loss for where to find any other information. Here is what I have.

I have 22 SR5

I have installed the following.

AlphaRex Nova head lights.
Factory rear lights but retrofitted with all LED.

Here is the issue.

When the headlights are not on all of the flashers work as they should. When the headlights are on, I get hyper flash front and rear. In reading lots of other posts I bought 50W 6RJ resistors and installed only one on the right rear to test it. After installation, I still had hyper flash. I then disconnected my front right turn signal with all of the lights on, and I still have hyper flash, so that leads me down the path that the resistor is not the correct one for the rear.

Last test, remove the LED and install the factory bulb. Lights on no hyper flash. Front still connected and on, not hyper flash.

I'm out for a loss...

Anyone have any other idea's short of going back to the factory bulb?

Thanks...

Hard to pinpoint this issue. If you put leds by themselves, half the time the truck thinks a signal is burned out and hyperflashes. If you disconnect one, the truck thinks a light is burned out an hyperflashes.

The issue is mostly likely the rear leds. Grab the MESO Total Tail setup for the rear and it should hopefully fix your issue. Their signals are designed with a proper resistor and I haven't got any hyberflashing with them, but with the Alphas up front you might want to grab their pnp resistors as well. I'm not sure if Alpharex has any resistors in their headlight to prevent hyperflash, I know my Morimoto's do. I haven't read any reports saying the Alphas cause hyperflashing by themselves, but I didn't look into the specifics of those headlights much after seeing their output.

It's the rear turn signals. Add one set at a time to confirm.
Grab the MESO's like @drizzoh or you'll want to grab turn signal bulbs with built-in resistors. "anti-hyperflash" ones. They cost a little more, but it'll fix the issue. Last option, just roll with it. For the lights, it's always a combination. I wouldn't bother with adding your own resistors.

I had the SiriusLED ones from eBay and they worked well. Then upgraded to the MESO Stage II Kit.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. The MESO's are sold out for the both the Stage 1 and Stage 2. Also Sirius does not make a 7443 bulb that has resistors in them. They may have but their website only has 2 and both are non canbus bulbs which puts me right back where I am now.. So I went back and looked at the led's that I have they should be anti hyper flash bulbs. They are OXILAM from Amazon. I have tried the same bulb in both the brake and then running/turn signal with and without a resistor on the turn side, and I still get hyper flash with the lights on. Not sure what's next. Any other thoughts?

Here is link for that bulb. Original link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09N9FTZ1J?noLL=1&askMessage=GENERIC_ERROR#Ask

MESO stuff is perpetually backordered. He produces his products in batches a few times a year. Add the alerts and order quick when they are available. Stage 1 is more than sufficiently bright. The Total Tail is a really cool and much safer setup for the tails though, not to mention much brighter for reverse. Something about having amber turns back there is just awesome to me. I've had it installed a year and I still geek out about it lol.

If you can't wait, upgrading to better bulbs would be a start. I've heard positive things about Lasfit, but not so much on the others you mentioned.

Thanks for the help, and the verdict is in. I picked up a pair of Lasfit Red LED's and man are they bright. Like WOW bright. They solved the hyper flash issue. Lights on, no issue. Hazards with lights on no issue. I'm thinking I'm going to return the other brand that are in the Brake position with these as I really can't get over how bright they are. Here is the bulb that I got if we need to pass this on other people who run into this same issue.

Thanks...

Original link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08261B9WW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

After installing those new LED bulbs, did you by chance use the resistors? Or these bulbs have built-in resistors? Im running into the same problem as you did but have my resistors on the side just in-case. Don’t really wanna splice my wires if I don’t need to use em hehe. Thanks 🤙🏻

After installing those new LED bulbs, did you by chance use the resistors? Or these bulbs have built-in resistors? Im running into the same problem as you did but have my resistors on the side just in-case. Don’t really wanna splice my wires if I don’t need to use em hehe. Thanks 🤙🏻

The Lasfit's work perfectly. As you can see I tried a couple of other bulbs that state they don't hyper flash which was untrue. I also bought some resistors just in case, but I didn't use them.

Probably the "CANBUS Anti Hyper Flash" type.

Back