• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

How to make a taco sound like a harley

StormRnr

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
So I installed the RCI full skid kit. Maybe my exhaust hangs down too low, but it impacts the transfer case skid and the amplification makes the truck pop rattle like a motorbike.

Not sure if the video is going to upload so you may have to trust me.

Anyway, tomorrow I’ll figure out how to push it up off the skid plate so it quiets down.

-M

Tried to push it up with a floor jack. It didn't stay. So I wadded some exhaust wrap under it and that seems to have done the trick. For now.

I figure its going to wear through that material as it vibrates against the sheet metal but maybe wrap it a couple layers thick so it keeps a constant pressure on the plate instead of just use it until you come up with a longer term solution. Good luck

I figure its going to wear through that material as it vibrates against the sheet metal but maybe wrap it a couple layers thick so it keeps a constant pressure on the plate instead of just use it until you come up with a longer term solution. Good luck
Long term would be to figure out how to get the exhaust to hang up higher. It's quiet, but I can still feel it.

-M

I suppose if I get around to upgrading the exhaust I'd relocate it. The padding is working for the moment. I don't plan get too rad with this truck which is why I went with Aluminum skids.

Is it possible to shim/washer the rear mounting points of the skid? Suppose you might be able to slip in a washer in the front, where the transfer case cross member is.

I'm considering these in skids in aluminum as well and haven't budgeted for a reroute of the exhaust.

Is it possible to shim/washer the rear mounting points of the skid? Suppose you might be able to slip in a washer in the front, where the transfer case cross member is.

I'm considering these in skids in aluminum as well and haven't budgeted for a reroute of the exhaust.
So, the current owner of the Tacoma (me) took it on a stupid rough road the first day he owned it. Every one of the factory guards was impacted by this decision. I think I bent my exhaust down. So you probably won't have this problem. The skids are designed for it.

So, the current owner of the Tacoma (me) took it on a stupid rough road the first day he owned it. Every one of the factory guards was impacted by this decision. I think I bent my exhaust down. So you probably won't have this problem. The skids are designed for it.
But did you have fun?

I love watching offroad recovery videos

I love watching offroad recovery videos
So we got a call...

Anyway. I just went and bent the exhaust hanger and not it hangs above the skid plate. Hopefully it's enough. If not, I'll ben more, and hopefully not break it...

IMG_2414.JPG

Back