• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

How to get those tires slightly poking out for a wider stance without changing the suspension?

3Ger

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2016 Sport DCSB Manual
Midnight Black
Hi guys. Newbie here. Sorry for the long title on the thread. I gladly appreciate the answer to my question as per my title above. Would this be possible like buying an aftermarket wheels with some specifics without putting any lifts/leveling kits?

Hi guys. Newbie here. Sorry for the long title on the thread. I gladly appreciate the answer to my question as per my title above. Would this be possible like buying an aftermarket wheels with some specifics without putting any lifts/leveling kits?

Wheels will certainly give you the poke you are looking for. That is the best solution.

Another option is spacers. Use only hub centric for your truck and brands that are of higher quality. Spider trax is a favored one.

Depending on your wheels you have either +25mm or +30mm offset so if you were to go with wheels with less positive offset or even negative offset your new wheels would stick out further. Tire width also plays a part in this.

Wheels will certainly give you the poke you are looking for. That is the best solution.

Another option is spacers. Use only hub centric for your truck and brands that are of higher quality. Spider trax is a favored one.
Thank you for the reply. Any safety concerns on spacers that I should know of?

Depending on your wheels you have either +25mm or +30mm offset so if you were to go with wheels with less positive offset or even negative offset your new wheels would stick out further. Tire width also plays a part in this.
Thanks for the reply. Seems like you are knowledgeable with wheels. Can you provide me numbers for a R17 that I should look for at the shop? Sorry I know nothing much about mechanic stuff.

Which stock wheels and tires do you currently have?

17x 8.5 with anything 0 offset to negative offset will give you a some poke. I have 0 offset with 265/70/17 and I’d say close to an inch of poke. There’s a plentiful of wheel selection.

Which stock wheels and tires do you currently have?

I have the 17” trd sport rims and then put KO2s on upgraded to 265/70/R17 thinking it would give a better look. Increased height was ok, just thought the aggressive-looking ridges of KO2s would poke out a little.

17x 8.5 with anything 0 offset to negative offset will give you a some poke. I have 0 offset with 265/70/17 and I’d say close to an inch of poke. There’s a plentiful of wheel selection.

sounds awesome. Can i see a pic? Thank you

I don’t have any photos with poke but here’s how it looks.

Attachments

• AB0C994B-ECB6-43B7-BFF3-757247866592.jpeg
    AB0C994B-ECB6-43B7-BFF3-757247866592.jpeg
    808.8 KB · Views: 429
I always liked the TRD Sema wheels. They should stick out about .75" more than stock and shouldn't give you any rubbing issues but can't guarantee that. The further your wheels stick out the closer they will be to the cab mount or fender liner at full lock.
1589230021052.png

I always liked the TRD Sema wheels. They should stick out about .75" more than stock and shouldn't give you any rubbing issues but can't guarantee that. The further your wheels stick out the closer they will be to the cab mount or fender liner at full lock.
1589230021052.png

I’ve seen it at the dealership and is very common. Another question, if I were to get that or change my rims, can I put my existing KO2s on with 265/70/R17 on? Or do I have to buy a new set of tires?
Thanks

I’ve seen it at the dealership and is very common. Another question, if I were to get that or change my rims, can I put my existing KO2s on with 265/70/R17 on? Or do I have to buy a new set of tires?
Thanks
Yes as long as the new wheel is 17" diameter and 7-8.5" wide

Back