• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

How much weight you carry? With: Rack for RTT, +RTT, Gear, tools, Ice Chest/Refrigerator etc...

TacomaMTB

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2016 Sport DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I was wondering if I am the only one that loads everything but the kitchen sink to go Overlanding or camping, in just average of things that I put in my Tacoma and weight its:
Home made bed rack for tent =60 lbs
RTT =130 lbs
Smittybilt awning 8.2' = 25 lbs
Hand made Deck ( under construction ) = 180 lbs
Ice Chest loaded = 40 lbs
camping Gear/cooking =40 lbs
Tools and recovery gear =60 lbs
Water =20 lbs
Total ______________________________________= 555 lbs

Attachments

• Taco side.jpg
    Taco side.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 150
  • TACODECKED.jpg
    TACODECKED.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 134
I actually weighed our truck fully loaded when we were headed out for a month long road trip. Came out to just under 6,000 lbs total.

I need to calculate this when everything is installed. I know it is heavy as hell, especially because of the tires.

I also dig your DIY bed storage @TacomaMTB.

I need to run over a scale while I'm super stock to get a base line. the more I look around weight is key to a reliable truck.

I need to run over a scale while I'm super stock to get a base line. the more I look around weight is key to a reliable truck.

I actually wish I had those numbers. It's one thing to go off the documents I have from the truck purchase, but it would be nice to have weighed it stock.

Update: I don't have a weight for this yet, but next year I will have a Four Wheel Camper on the back of my truck and I'll be full-time living in it. The camper, plus all my belongings, the steel bumpers, big tires, etc... I bet the truck is going to be over GVWR for sure.

Update: I don't have a weight for this yet, but next year I will have a Four Wheel Camper on the back of my truck and I'll be full-time living in it. The camper, plus all my belongings, the steel bumpers, big tires, etc... I bet the truck is going to be over GVWR for sure.
Sounds like a good time to box in your frame :p

I wonder how complicated that is.
Its not too hard, especially if you know some fab skills! You may be able to get away with not pulling the bed, but it would be waayyy easier to do all the fab work.

DMZ fab sells the frame box kit, claims it works on 2005+ so we should be ok on the 3rd gens. I havent seen it too much on the 3rd gens, im planning on doing this in 2020 on the taco for dune purposes (jumping), combined with some archive garage hangars to beef up the rear suspension.

Link:
http://dmzfab.com/product/2005-tacoma-frame-boxing-kit/

Its not too hard, especially if you know some fab skills! You may be able to get away with not pulling the bed, but it would be waayyy easier to do all the fab work.

DMZ fab sells the frame box kit, claims it works on 2005+ so we should be ok on the 3rd gens. I havent seen it too much on the 3rd gens, im planning on doing this in 2020 on the taco for dune purposes (jumping), combined with some archive garage hangars to beef up the rear suspension.

Link:
http://dmzfab.com/product/2005-tacoma-frame-boxing-kit/
Thanks for this! I bookmarked it.

Well I'll add my perspective in here. I've never weighed my setup, but I've always assumed it was around 2000 lbs wet. I've had it setup with that weight for around 30k miles now, with easily half of that being offroad, from mild to moderate trails. The taco has handled it like a champ, but I definitely go easy on her!

Well I'll add my perspective in here. I've never weighed my setup, but I've always assumed it was around 2000 lbs wet. I've had it setup with that weight for around 30k miles now, with easily half of that being offroad, from mild to moderate trails. The taco has handled it like a champ, but I definitely go easy on her!
Thank you for the input from a fellow FWC owner! And on that note, welcome to the forum! I admire your travels; I'm glad you joined.

Last edited:
That you for the input from a fellow FWC owner! And on that note, welcome to the forum! I admire your travels; I'm glad you joined.
Much appreciated man, took me a while to get on board, but the site is awesome so far. I'm stoked to be here!

Back