• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

How much weight on your tacoma is too much weight for overlanding?

CaliNar

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new member here, new Tacoma owner (about 3 months now).. spent 6 months researching until my brain hurt. After calling multiple companies and all of them giving me opposing answers (some of them completely dumbfounded by the fact that people even put 1000lb on the back of their truck), I finally decided to ask this community.

I've watched just about every C4, CBI build video, and other youtubers doing these great overland builds with full skids (150lb), front bumper (120lb), rear dual swing out bumper (200lb), rock sliders (150lb), roof rack (45lb), fully loaded lights (?lb), diamond back hd bed covers (115lb), bed rack (55lb), hard shell rooftop tents (172lb), 20lb propane tanks full and mounted (68lb), 30-40 pounds of tools/recovery gear, winch (80lb), 8-12 gallons of fuel in rotopax, gallons of water, portable fridge (55lb), some kind of drawer system (?lb), another 100lb of camping gear, spare wheel on rear bumper (45-60lb), etc.. apparently running just fine..

Here are the questions I can't seem to find the answers to:

1. With an additional 1200-1400lb of weight on the truck, and let's say Fox 2.5 full kit with Deaver Stage 3's that's rated from 700-1000lb, how on earth are these trucks normally functional on all these trips for years? The Deaver stage 3's are rated for 1000lb max, so how are people putting 1400lb on it (not even counting 2 passengers that weight between 180-200lb each for example)? .... Also, I'm aware that the weight distribution really mostly matters in the rear for the leaf springs, so given that the roof rack creeps towards the rear, and half the sliders and skids do too, really the only thing to subtract to get the rear weight is the front bumper, half the sliders, and half the skids. It still ends up being over a 1000lb.

2. How is a V6 with not much torque able to handle that? (not to mention adding bigger tires lowers power). For argument's sake let's say 33's for tires so no re-gear required.

3. If the Tacoma is not meant to have that much, then where do you compromise? ....Half the people say you NEED armor because you have to protect your investment so full skids, rock sliders, front and rear bumper are non negotiable cuz accidents happen once. And of course the purpose of the truck is to go off grid to camp and enjoy and explore and get away from the city, so I'm going to need at the anti-theft of the truck bed cover, the bed rack, and the rooftop tent... it's like, well, what's left? Say I dont take the fridge and propane tank and just stick to MRE's.. Everything else is for a "just incase" situation. From the winch, to the recovery gear, to tools, etc.. So between armor, what i need for the "experience", which is 80-90% of the weight, I'm torn between what to compromise on.

The setup I want to go for in terms of the build for my 2023 Tacoma TRD Off Road is: Fox 2.5 full kit with the reservoirs, upper control arms, U bolts, Deaver stage 3 leaf springs, Falken Wildpeak AT3W (285/70r17), I wouldn't really want anything past a 1.5" lift on front and back, MAYBE 2 if there is a solid functional reason behind it. I'm trying to keep my center of gravity low, and not lift it too much past stock lift. I want strictly best functionality, longevity, etc.. not one for just looks, no offense to anyone that is, just have a different purpose for this truck. Also, this won't really be a daily driver as I have a sedan for that. Perhaps down a few blocks to the store here and there.

Thank you ahead of time, and I apologize for the giant rant sized post. Just sucks being in limbo for months because I can't find answers to base my decisions off of.

To each their own,... for many reasons.
For me, I build the truck to be the truck I need it to be,.... protect it as needed for what I use it for.
Overland and camping equipment is YES HEAVY,...
I choose to have a pull behind trailer built just for that "need".
Use the truck wherever you want ,... want to go "over" that limit,... hook up the trailer.
Pictures are with a light load, not my truck but you get the weight delegated idea.
Truck vs Trucked Trailer (you can pull more than you can carry)
1697986292501.png

1697986324339.png

To each their own,... for many reasons.
For me, I build the truck to be the truck I need it to be,.... protect it as needed for what I use it for.
Overland and camping equipment is YES HEAVY,...
I choose to have a pull behind trailer built just for that "need".
Use the truck wherever you want ,... want to go "over" that limit,... hook up the trailer.
Pictures are with a light load, not my truck but you get the weight delegated idea.
Truck vs Trucked Trailer (you can pull more than you can carry)
1697986292501.png

1697986324339.png
Absolutely agreed! I’m definitely trying to build the truck I need, don’t care for looks. Trailers can get a bit pricey, and I’m not a fan of hauling a trailer on trails. Just an extra 10-15 feet of extension of my truck I need to worry about. What I’m torn between is “protection/armor” vs “camping experience”. 90% of the weight is the protection / recovery aspect. If I threw a RTT with a bed rack, my total weight for those 2 things would be 220lb max, and some camping gear, maybe another 50lb. But if anything were to happen out there I would be stuck, no front bumper, no winch, no jack. If I were to damage my car on the trail, I would be screwed cuz there are no rock sliders, no skid plates, nothing. So I’m just torn man, sucks being in limbo.

Short answer is 1100# because that's what the payload is. The long answer is they work just fine with more. How much more? Depends who you ask. I have about GVWR maybe a little more and it's fine. But I have gears and suspension upgrades. If you're stock, then you can still do it, but you'll be on the bump stops.

What I can't figure out is why all these kids are so afraid of sleeping on the ground. Well maybe I do have an idea. Next time you're in the mens room listen to how many fathers tell their kids "don't touch that". I thing germaphobia has taken over two entire generations. The thought of sleeping in contact with the earth probably causes fits of hysteria.

I just don't worry about it.

What I can't figure out is why all these kids are so afraid of sleeping on the ground. Well maybe I do have an idea. Next time you're in the mens room listen to how many fathers tell their kids "don't touch that". I thing germaphobia has taken over two entire generations. The thought of sleeping in contact with the earth probably causes fits of hysteria.
I remember when I was a kid. We used to bob for turds in public restrooms because we weren't afraid of germs...

I remember when I was a kid. We used to bob for turds in public restrooms because we weren't afraid of germs...
I mean, I'll sleep on the ground but there are plenty of areas I wouldn't touch in a porta-potty.
It comes down to the environment and if I'm doing it for the Gram! :)

One good thing about sleeping on the ground is that you never roll out of the bed and it king size,.. WOOF!

I just figured it out. I know why I'm so anti roof top tent. As a kid we had bunk beds. I had the top and more than once I rolled out. Must have caused an unnamed phobia.

I just figured it out. I know why I'm so anti roof top tent. As a kid we had bunk beds. I had the top and more than once I rolled out. Must have caused an unnamed phobia.
I have an RTT on a trailer. Solves all the issues of an RTT on a truck, except dark childhood trauma.

i have a wife that hoards candy. and we camp where there are bears.
Do you seriously think a few feet above the ground will discourage a bear? They regularly rip open vehicles, RV's and fabric tents won't even slow one down. If your wife hordes candy make her sleep somewhere else.

Back