• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

How different does your truck drive with heavier wheels and tires?

itsthex

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.coryinmotion.com
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Hey all,

How does your heavier wheel and tire setup affect vehicle drivability? How much heavier is your setup and what types of changes have you seen/felt?

I can't seem to get a good consensus on this. Some say they didnt notice the additional 20lbs per wheel, others say different.

I've built the following rigs from stock:
-97 xj, 2 in lift/30" AT's stock wheels
-99, 4 in lift/32" MT"s, slightly heavier wheels
-2008 v8 4Runner, 2 in lift/32" AT's
-2016 Tacoma, stock height, 33" AT's
-2018 JLUR, 2.5 in Icon st 8 lift, 37 BFG KM3's
-(current) 2020 TRDPro, 2 in lift, 33" MT's.

Without exception, the bigger tires decreased the *on road* stability, straight line tracking, comfort, gas mileage, and pick up.

I also used all these vehicles for hunting/adventuring rigs, and have not regretted the modifications a bit. All the vehicle's comfort, drivability, and capability *off road* were improved, The lift and tires all took me places I wouldn't have otherwise been able to go.
64E95BD7-8CE3-4A02-82B3-B3C203BE7C7D.jpeg
B640D81A-0FD6-4B12-8DED-0E480D81ABA3.jpeg
67EEDA23-4A5F-4A94-84DA-CEEFFA1A7F3F.jpeg
4D2FE7D3-7A3B-435C-8940-04F122CA292C.jpeg
81742B72-4990-4140-A7D3-70166D0C343C.jpeg

It's different for everyone and how much experience they have with driving. Range of wheels they've had in the past.
With my previous vehicles I've beat on stockies, heavy forged wheels and lightweight forged wheels. Factor in tire sizes.
It's sort of a mechanical/tactile feel. Connecting to the road. I think you feel it more with smaller cars with more power.
From 17" factory stocks 215/45ZR17 on a smaller vehicle to 18" custom staggered wider iForged wheels I could feel a big difference. It was manual, car was lowered with motor mounts, shifter mounts, stiff suspension and suspension components. This is where you'll feel it most.
Then switched back to 17" lightweight wheels, I felt I had more control and could beat it around better than the previous wheels. I do feel it was the weight.

If you make a huge jump in size it might feel slightly sluggish. I don't think most people even notice. Maybe it's seeing the speedo and how it registers in your mind. Since the trucks are calibrated for the factory wheel and tires. I probably overexplained and it got confusing.

I've built the following rigs from stock:
-97 xj, 2 in lift/30" AT's stock wheels
-99, 4 in lift/32" MT"s, slightly heavier wheels
-2008 v8 4Runner, 2 in lift/32" AT's
-2016 Tacoma, stock height, 33" AT's
-2018 JLUR, 2.5 in Icon st 8 lift, 37 BFG KM3's
-(current) 2020 TRDPro, 2 in lift, 33" MT's.

Without exception, the bigger tires decreased the *on road* stability, straight line tracking, comfort, gas mileage, and pick up.

I also used all these vehicles for hunting/adventuring rigs, and have not regretted the modifications a bit. All the vehicle's comfort, drivability, and capability *off road* were improved, The lift and tires all took me places I wouldn't have otherwise been able to go.
64E95BD7-8CE3-4A02-82B3-B3C203BE7C7D.jpeg
B640D81A-0FD6-4B12-8DED-0E480D81ABA3.jpeg
67EEDA23-4A5F-4A94-84DA-CEEFFA1A7F3F.jpeg
4D2FE7D3-7A3B-435C-8940-04F122CA292C.jpeg
81742B72-4990-4140-A7D3-70166D0C343C.jpeg

Thats great, I did figure the larger wheels and tires were helpful. It looks like you've been smart with your wheel selections, however, so I don't imagine they were very heavy on their own. The tires themselves were your primary factor in these builds. On your 3rd gen, sandstorm, those 33's on a stock height? interesting. Would love more info on the tires/size/build.

It's different for everyone and how much experience they have with driving. Range of wheels they've had in the past.
With my previous vehicles I've beat on stockies, heavy forged wheels and lightweight forged wheels. Factor in tire sizes.
It's sort of a mechanical/tactile feel. Connecting to the road. I think you feel it more with smaller cars with more power.
From 17" factory stocks 215/45ZR17 on a smaller vehicle to 18" custom staggered wider iForged wheels I could feel a big difference. It was manual, car was lowered with motor mounts, shifter mounts, stiff suspension and suspension components. This is where you'll feel it most.
Then switched back to 17" lightweight wheels, I felt I had more control and could beat it around better than the previous wheels. I do feel it was the weight.

If you make a huge jump in size it might feel slightly sluggish. I don't think most people even notice. Maybe it's seeing the speedo and how it registers in your mind. Since the trucks are calibrated for the factory wheel and tires. I probably overexplained and it got confusing.

I definitely get where you're coming from. I come from a tuning background as well and understand the effects of weight vs feel, but am looking for individual feedback on how a larger tire combo that factory affects drivability. For example, some say these trucks need a tune when moving up to heavier wheels and tires and suffer significant mpg loss. Others say they manage to get better gas mileage than I do stock while running 35s with no gearing... Its just a weird place.

It seems the selection of wheels that I'm most interested in add about 6 to 8 lbs per wheel over my OEM SEMA's. That's without adding in the bigger tires I'd like to go with that add another 10, minimum. Maybe even 20 depending on the tire as these stock SL's are only 40lbs each.

In essence, I'm looking at at least 20-30lbs more per wheel which is a ton! Makes me not want to change wheels at all. I can only imagine the truck turns into a massive turd. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Hey all,

How does your heavier wheel and tire setup affect vehicle drivability? How much heavier is your setup and what types of changes have you seen/felt?

I can't seem to get a good consensus on this. Some say they didnt notice the additional 20lbs per wheel, others say different.
I didn’t read the other posts in this thread; I’m just going to share my personal experience.

I can speak for 35” and 37” tires on a Tacoma and also aftermarket wheels that are considered to be on the heavier side.

For steering, I don’t notice a difference. I’m sure there is an actual difference but it was never enough for me or my wife to think twice about it.

For acceleration, my tire sizes will make the truck sluggish for sure, but I have OVTune which helps a lot with that. I also have 5.29 gears which help the truck mechanically but make less of a noticeable difference to me as the driver pushing the pedal.

For highway cruising, I don’t think there is much of a difference, at least not when you have OVTune. I can cruise at 70-80 mph at 2500 rpm. Any slower and I’m always at 2000 rpm.

For engine power, I don’t think the tires alone make much of a difference. But if you have tires this big, you probably also have heavy bumpers and other heavy crap on your truck. So yes, the engine could supercharged or turbo’d for more smiles per gallon.

For mpg, OVTune will make a huge difference. I have no idea what stock mpg might be with these tire sizes. But my truck used to get 14-16 on 35s without the camper. Now it gets 11-14.8 on 37s with the camper + tons of other weight. Not bad for how overloaded my truck is.

C49FB6F8-44FE-4AD4-9E21-B7D126F0DB19.jpeg

^ This = 35” KM3, 5 heavy Black Rhino wheels, and steel bumpers. With OVTune and 5.29s, it got 14-16 mph.

F1739018-B5D2-4872-B92A-E46E0C3C9323.jpeg

^ This = 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 5 heavy Black Rhino Wheels, 800 lb camper (dry). With camper now fully built and loaded, the whole truck probably weighs 7000 lb and gets 11-14.8 mph.

I definitely get where you're coming from. I come from a tuning background as well and understand the effects of weight vs feel, but am looking for individual feedback on how a larger tire combo that factory affects drivability. For example, some say these trucks need a tune when moving up to heavier wheels and tires and suffer significant mpg loss. Others say they manage to get better gas mileage than I do stock while running 35s with no gearing... Its just a weird place.

It seems the selection of wheels that I'm most interested in add about 6 to 8 lbs per wheel over my OEM SEMA's. That's without adding in the bigger tires I'd like to go with that add another 10, minimum. Maybe even 20 depending on the tire as these stock SL's are only 40lbs each.

In essence, I'm looking at at least 20-30lbs more per wheel which is a ton! Makes me not want to change wheels at all. I can only imagine the truck turns into a massive turd. :ROFLMAO:
Rotational mass. Even if the wheels are a little more, you might be stacking it all back on and them some with the tires.
Tuning background, I felt it was more wheel/size/width as the tires were pretty similar in weight since I always lowered and stretched.
Now it's the opposite. Adding size, maybe some width, amount of rubber and it's enough to make weight spike and be inconsistent. I've never seen so many wheel weights placed on a wheel before.
Can always go lightweight forged wheels.

VOLK Gang checking in.

C49FB6F8-44FE-4AD4-9E21-B7D126F0DB19.jpeg

^ This = 35” KM3, 5 heavy Black Rhino wheels, and steel bumpers. With OVTune and 5.29s, it got 14-16 mph.

F1739018-B5D2-4872-B92A-E46E0C3C9323.jpeg

^ This = 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 5 heavy Black Rhino Wheels, 800 lb camper (dry). With camper now fully built and loaded, the whole truck probably weighs 7000 lb and gets 11-14.8 mph.

Thanks for the solid info Tyler. Exactly what I was looking for in this thread.

Can you share the specs on wheels/tires?

@Tyler Did regearing help with gas mileage at all?

I'm on 32", cab sound deadening, roof rack, sliders and barely hit 14mpg. Baby foot it everywhere. Valley Tune.

Pf54C2.jpg

BFGoodrich KM3
Size: 315/75r16
Weight: 73 lb
Diameter: 34.6”

+

Black Rhino Arsenal
Size: 16x8
Weight: 26 lb
Offset: -10

Nitto Ridge Grappler
Size: 37x12.5r17
Weight: 81.4 lb
Diameter: 36.77”

+

Black Rhino Carbine
Size: 17x8.5
Weight: 29 lb
Offset: -34

@Tyler Did regearing help with gas mileage at all?

I'm on 32", cab sound deadening, roof rack, sliders and barely hit 14mpg. Baby foot it everywhere. Valley Tune.

Pf54C2.jpg

The regearing definitely helped but I’m stoopid and never took down before/after numbers. I think you can expect a 2-3 mph increase.

Thanks guys for all the posts so far! After some asking around in the other place that shall not be mentioned, someone actually busted out this link:

http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html

Essentially, wheel weights have very minimal effect versus tires since they see no frictional load. There's some great calculators in there that can translate weight vs effective chassis weight. Good to know that my biggest hurdle is tires, not necessarily my wheel selection.

EDIT: Also, to keep it completely mature: 69th post. Giggity.

Thanks guys for all the posts so far! After some asking around in the other place that shall not be mentioned, someone actually busted out this link:

http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html

Essentially, wheel weights have very minimal effect versus tires since they see no frictional load. There's some great calculators in there that can translate weight vs effective chassis weight. Good to know that my biggest hurdle is tires, not necessarily my wheel selection.

EDIT: Also, to keep it completely mature: 69th post. Giggity.

Even the "The answers, short and sweet, for those who want to skip the details." was too much.
So basically every 5lbs per wheel/tire is like 32 lbs from combined. So even if the wheel/tire was 20-25lbs+/- it's like having an extra passenger?
Too much Chinese math.

I guess I’m the odd ball here. Running 255/85R16 Toyo MT‘s on stock TRD OR wheels and I love the way they ride. Outstanding off road and on the highway. No wandering or tracking and the extra sidewall heigth tames the bumps.

I guess I’m the odd ball here. Running 255/85R16 Toyo MT‘s on stock TRD OR wheels and I love the way they ride. Outstanding off road and on the highway. No wandering or tracking and the extra sidewall heigth tames the bumps.
I wonder if skinnier tires affect gas mileage.

Even the "The answers, short and sweet, for those who want to skip the details." was too much.
So basically every 5lbs per wheel/tire is like 32 lbs from combined. So even if the wheel/tire was 20-25lbs+/- it's like having an extra passenger?
Too much Chinese math.

To the contrary, the weight is actually dependent (roughly) on not just tire weight but also width and height. There are calculators in the link where you can just plug your numbers in and get results. Pretty neat stuff.

It’s noticeable but not to bad. Went from stock to all aftermarket suspension and 285/75r17 tires. Took a little to get used to the new feel but it’s all broken in now and feels smooth. Also have 5.29 gears. Average about 18 mpg which surprised me but I actually checked it by hand and my speedo has been recalibrated. Not tuned either. Drove from west texas to the coast of Massachusetts and back doing 70-80 on average and it was fine. The gears are probably my favorite mod so far. They help a ton.

Back