• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Hidden winch mount

Robmoney23

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score

Attachments

• 3DD9A14F-A0BB-43E8-A166-66DB12FC7277.png
    3DD9A14F-A0BB-43E8-A166-66DB12FC7277.png
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 147
I wanted a hidden winch but also wanted some protection up front as well so I opted for the Warn hidden winch, easy install by myself and very minor trimming under the front where it's unseen. Very happy with it and Smittybilt 12000lb X20 synthetic rope.

I have it installed in my truck. The only negatives are that it doesn't come with any instructions and I had to build a mount for my X20 winch solenoid to make it fit.

I planned on using the same winch. Did it not work with the solenoid mounted on the left side of the winch? Where did you mount it? What did you use as a mount?

I have it installed in my truck. The only negatives are that it doesn't come with any instructions and I had to build a mount for my X20 winch solenoid to make it fit.
which mount did you install?

Yes I purchased the RRW hidden winch mount. Still haven’t decided on winch yet.
Awesome. A lot of us use this winch: Smittybilt (98510) X2O Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch - 10000 lb. Load Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K150VAI/?tag=tacoma3g-20

Obviously Warn are great, but the Smitty will save you some money and are known to hold up just as well. Whichever you get, definitely opt for the synthetic line.

Thank you for the advice. That was the winch I am leaning towards. More than likely I will get that one.

Has anybody that has installed this run into any issues with not having hardware included in the kit? Saw a report that there were no relocation brackets for the power steering coolant lines, and then that while they were supposed to be two different lengths they were the same length, and then that wasn't any hardware for the relocation brackets, and then the relocation led to another issue with clearance of two other lines.
I found out the hard way that the Warn semi-hidden mount does fit an SR5 without LED fogs, and I don't want to have to go through this mess again with something that isn't going to fit.
I'm looking at installing a Smitty 9500 with this, and it looks like if I mount the solenoid pack over the motor there should be clearance.

You are correct. Depending on where you buy your hidden winch mount they don’t always come with relocation brackets. I had to make my own out of some flat metal I had laying around. Regardless you will for sure need to move your lines back about 3/4 to 1 inch towards your radiator.

I installed a smittybilt 10j x2o with CBI's hidden winch mount. Worked great. See my build page (recovering Jeep addict) in the intro section for a couple time lapse videos and link to useful install pdf. Cbi had all the necessary hardware in their kit. Very happy with the fit and function.

Hoping to revive this thread, I’m beginning the research for a hidden winch mount (and recovery points). Thanks for the info so far. If I understand correctly, even though the RRW is designed specifically around a few of the warn winches, it should also fit a smittybilt, yes? The CBI website suggests theirs will fit any remote solenoid winch, and the two products seem pretty darn similar as @Mr. Nobody noted.

Has anybody that has installed this run into any issues with not having hardware included in the kit? Saw a report that there were no relocation brackets for the power steering coolant lines, and then that while they were supposed to be two different lengths they were the same length, and then that wasn't any hardware for the relocation brackets, and then the relocation led to another issue with clearance of two other lines.
I found out the hard way that the Warn semi-hidden mount does fit an SR5 without LED fogs, and I don't want to have to go through this mess again with something that isn't going to fit.
I'm looking at installing a Smitty 9500 with this, and it looks like if I mount the solenoid pack over the motor there should be clearance.
They came with the kit.

Back