• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Hi I Have A Tacoma

going on a short road trip outside Oregon, which means I’ll have to pump my own gas (😳), which means I would like somewhere to hang the gas cap

picked up from liftd customs, on the other site

I was thinking about 3d printing this one but the dangling thing has worked well for me so far: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4719055

that print would probably work well, looks just like the meso one. i don't have a printer yet =(

i wonder if there's a print designed to fit in the little square space in front of the cupholder, that could hold a handheld radio. like a midland or baofeng style.

that print would probably work well, looks just like the meso one. i don't have a printer yet =(

i wonder if there's a print designed to fit in the little square space in front of the cupholder, that could hold a handheld radio. like a midland or baofeng style.
It would be pretty easy to design.

i was definitely not going to Go FSR. i guess in the same way i was not exactly planning on buying a new truck... until it just sort of happened...

IMG_1523.jpeg

IMG_1530.jpeg

IMG_1531.jpeg

i found a good deal on a used one in decent shape. has a couple small tears in the cover so i might replace that with a new one, but it'll still be a good deal.

this is a high country 63. on a short bed it hangs over a few inches but it's not bad.

Last edited:
Okay, now we've got to go camping! Alvord in the early fall!

something cheap, tents are so gd expensive. i'm looking for something more like 60" wide, queen sized, because there will be two adults and a kid in there and that kid is a kicker when she sleeps.

smittybilt is one option but their xl is huge and the standard is kinda small for us i think. still i've been watching them for months (was going to put one on my element before this) and haven't seen any sales, or maybe missed them, so the promise of a cheapo tent hasn't come through yet.

also considering the ovs nomadic 3, it's just the right size but obv more expensive.

while looking around at all the tents, i've been surprised how many of them seem to obviously be the exact same tent, from the same manufacturer, with wildly different prices and marketing. tepui and smittybilt sell the same tent. the ovs nomadic is the same tent. cvt has the same tent.
Go see Bobby at CVT in Bend. He'll hook you up.

Never mind. Should have gone through your entire post before commenting.

Last edited:
i was definitely not going to Go FSR. i guess in the same way i was not exactly planning on buying a new truck... until it just sort of happened...

IMG_1523.jpeg

IMG_1530.jpeg

IMG_1531.jpeg

i found a good deal on a used one in decent shape. has a couple small tears in the cover so i might replace that with a new one, but it'll still be a good deal.

this is a high country 63. on a short bed it hangs over a few inches but it's not bad.
Very nice! I keep looking g for a deal on one of those, but they just cant be found in my area.😑

we took a road trip from portland to montana, down through yosemite, the tetons, and back. on that trip we ended up down few gravel roads here and there to waterfalls or campgrounds. these stock tires seem purpose-built to pick up rocks and fling them up at the truck. time for mud flaps i guess.

i didn't want to go all in on rokblokz or rekgen, but the real cheap amazon ones also didn't seem great. so i kinda went middle of the pack with tufskinz. they have a couple different sizes, a bunch of different design options, and even custom logos, so that's dope. they do use spacers similar to cheap flaps, but they seem pretty durable and flexible more like the nicer ones. on the other hand, i've never installed, touched, or really paid any attention to mud flaps before now, so wtf do i know.

IMG_1717.jpeg

IMG_1735.jpeg

IMG_1737.jpeg

we took a road trip from portland to montana, down through yosemite, the tetons, and back. on that trip we ended up down few gravel roads here and there to waterfalls or campgrounds. these stock tires seem purpose-built to pick up rocks and fling them up at the truck. time for mud flaps i guess.

i didn't want to go all in on rokblokz or rekgen, but the real cheap amazon ones also didn't seem great. so i kinda went middle of the pack with tufskinz. they have a couple different sizes, a bunch of different design options, and even custom logos, so that's dope. they do use spacers similar to cheap flaps, but they seem pretty durable and flexible more like the nicer ones. on the other hand, i've never installed, touched, or really paid any attention to mud flaps before now, so wtf do i know.

IMG_1717.jpeg

IMG_1735.jpeg

IMG_1737.jpeg
Looks good. I like the color accents.

i've started blacking out the cabin. so far the chrome cap on the shift boot, the chrome trim around the start button and 4x4 knob, and the grey trim around climate control knobs. i picked up the whole ajt chrome delete kit, which also includes raised lettering for the glove box and so i did that even though "why" is the first word that comes to mind. in the end i skipped the vent rings, they're just a little too domestic truck looking imo. eventually i'll pick up the meso rings, which are bit more understated.

oh i also changed the start button out for taco garage aluminum one.

there's really no reason for any of this. i think lurking on forums is really getting into my wallet space. it's too late though and i can't stop won't stop.

IMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1400.jpeg

IMG_1398.jpeg

well this summer was mostly a bust for getting outside but since i do have a camping trip coming up in a couple weeks, i used it as an excuse to splurge on a few more bits.

first, static climbing chalk bags as bigger cup holders. i've always carried a nalgene everywhere and i won't let some truck stop me, thankfully folks at the other forum figured this one out (any similarly sized chalk bag/other bag would work here, but my real chalk bag is old and beat up, and i didn't want to sacrifice it for this so i picked up new ones).

IMG_2685.jpegIMG_2687.jpeg

the big splurge and actual can't-easily-go-back mod was the taco garage dmm. it's flexibility and stealth is what sold me. very clever design imo, and an easy install.

IMG_2682.jpegIMG_2688.jpeg

psa: don't ipad and drive

Tell me next time you are in town, I want to check out some of your mods.

Tell me next time you are in town, I want to check out some of your mods.
will do! i'll be swinging by on the way out camping and the way back. but probably on the way out it'll just be a quick pick up of my buddy in eugene, because we'll be racing the light to get to camp. so thursday or friday, oct 21-22, depending on when we're back.

What mount for the iPad? Looks clean.
using taco garage's mighty magnet mounted to their dmm https://thetacogarage.com/collections/dmm/products/mighty-magnet. still not totally sure if it will hold up to a bumpy ride, but i did shake the shit out of the ipad held to the magnet before i mounted it and it seemed to hold pretty well!

I expect to see some video when you get back!

i did another thing. the one measly bed side cubby we get these days still gets muddy and gross in there, so i sealed that baby up.

BEED0060-B6AF-4EA9-B91F-CADD3A9BD8F4.jpeg D279DF7C-10F0-4AAA-8B53-7409AB721EDC.jpeg 368835CE-B0CC-45A1-8237-ECA822ABB37F.jpeg 58CA1F07-69D5-4E7B-B9A6-0013EC44AB6B.jpeg

plz note, caulking is not one of my strengths. let's hope it holds!

before driving out to the desert a couple weeks back, threw on a pair of at the helm bed stiffeners. they come raw so i cleaned them up, added a self etching primer coat, and a spray on bed liner. came out pretty alright!

IMG_2670.png

the bed mat fits just right between them. after a few days and a couple loads of stuff in the back, it settled down a bit more.

after the desert trip, i took off the steps. on rocky trails those things were a nightmare, scraping across everything.

IMG_3170.png

picking up sliders in a couple weeks. plus we have a few other planned changes through the winter, before spring camping season.

after the desert trip, i took off the steps. on rocky trails those things were a nightmare, scraping across everything.
...And you gave them to your Uncle so now I have to hear him complain about them ;)

...And you gave them to your Uncle so now I have to hear him complain about them

his tacoma is so high that he still has more clearance than me even with the steps. i could practically sit upright under that thing. when we were installing the steps, his dog just walked right under there and snouted me in the face.

his tacoma is so high that he still has more clearance than me even with the steps. i could practically sit upright under that thing. when we were installing the steps, his dog just walked right under there and snouted me in the face.
Got any photos of this monster Taco?

I'm peer pressuring him into posting some

Here ya go... I'll get more this weekend. Samson is a Puggle, and stands maybe 22" from floor to tail (and that curly tail is always up). He barely brushed the muffler while exuberantly wagging...

Attachments

• 20211030_152029.jpg
    20211030_152029.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 114
There. Now I've got my own thread. See what y'all made me do?!?!? :D

Back