• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Hi I Have A Tacoma

jbiscuit

5️⃣ Platinum
Rig of the Month
Reaction score
2021 Pro DCSB Auto
Lunar Rock
So I was out having a drink with a friend, who told me about a site called Truecar. Out of curiosity I used it to check local inventory for TRD Pros, and as expected there were none.

But that site gives your contact info to dealers. Well, after getting a few dud texts and then having a crisis of wallet, this happened:

3529AF31-D92D-4F83-8CBC-067481856202.jpeg

F269B782-D78D-460A-A968-F534C73FE6E8.jpeg

Anyway it was kind of a dumb thing to do but I love it and I refuse to regret it.

Aesthetic/Misc
Organization/Storage
Another Category
Armor I Think?
Camping
Future Stuff
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Current State:

IMG_6097.jpg

Last edited:
Hello my friend!!!

So I was out having a drink with a friend, who told me about a site called Truecar. Out of curiosity I used it to check local inventory for TRD Pros, and as expected there were none.

But that size gives your contact info to dealers. Well, after getting a few dud texts and then having a crisis of wallet, this happened:

3529AF31-D92D-4F83-8CBC-067481856202.jpeg

F269B782-D78D-460A-A968-F534C73FE6E8.jpeg

Anyway it was kind of a dumb thing to do but I love it and I refuse to regret it.

Aesthetic
Organization/Storage
Future Stuff
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That! Is a beautiful truck!!!

i came from a honda element, which has a cubby or shelf or hole everywhere you look (it even has a little removable cooler ffs). instead, this thing has one center console that is a cavern, and one glove box that seems like it might be taller than it is deep? (i didn't measure)

so a couple salex organizers add a little sanity

center console tray:
IMG_1192.jpg

glove box organizer:
IMG_1191.jpg

I was jealous of the 2g front bed rail so I picked one up from the dealership parts counter

6E780A13-63F7-4C7A-8DF5-72904BEFFDC1.jpeg

fits like a glove. not sure what I’ll use it for exactly but now I won’t have fomo whenever a second gen rolls by
I can always use another tie down. I might have to put one in my bed.

Its good that it sits below the support clear from the factory tonneau cover cuz I can't get mine off.

i knew before i picked up the truck that i’d want to get a rtt at some point. but had to think about what bed/platform configuration i wanted to go with (eg shell, contractor’s rack, bed bars, etc).

in the end decided on lower bars plus a tonneau, to keep center of gravity lower, hopefully a little less wind resistance, easier to reach the tent for setup. went with three kb voodoo bed bars, because a pair is rated 500lb static load and i have to put my fat ass up there plus 1-2 other people sometimes.

IMG_1309.jpeg

IMG_1308.jpeg

IMG_1306.jpeg

IMG_1310.jpeg

plus they look sick

i knew before i picked up the truck that i’d want to get a rtt at some point. but had to think about what bed/platform configuration i wanted to go with (eg shell, contractor’s rack, bed bars, etc).

in the end decided on lower bars plus a tonneau, to keep center of gravity lower, hopefully a little less wind resistance, easier to reach the tent for setup. went with three kb voodoo bed bars, because a pair is rated 500lb static load and i have to put my fat ass up there plus 1-2 other people sometimes.

plus they look sick

What are you thinking for a tent? FSR?

What are you thinking for a tent? FSR?

something cheap, tents are so gd expensive. i'm looking for something more like 60" wide, queen sized, because there will be two adults and a kid in there and that kid is a kicker when she sleeps.

smittybilt is one option but their xl is huge and the standard is kinda small for us i think. still i've been watching them for months (was going to put one on my element before this) and haven't seen any sales, or maybe missed them, so the promise of a cheapo tent hasn't come through yet.

also considering the ovs nomadic 3, it's just the right size but obv more expensive.

while looking around at all the tents, i've been surprised how many of them seem to obviously be the exact same tent, from the same manufacturer, with wildly different prices and marketing. tepui and smittybilt sell the same tent. the ovs nomadic is the same tent. cvt has the same tent.

something cheap, tents are so gd expensive. i'm looking for something more like 60" wide, queen sized, because there will be two adults and a kid in there and that kid is a kicker when she sleeps.

smittybilt is one option but their xl is huge and the standard is kinda small for us i think. still i've been watching them for months (was going to put one on my element before this) and haven't seen any sales, or maybe missed them, so the promise of a cheapo tent hasn't come through yet.

also considering the ovs nomadic 3, it's just the right size but obv more expensive.

while looking around at all the tents, i've been surprised how many of them seem to obviously be the exact same tent, from the same manufacturer, with wildly different prices and marketing. tepui and smittybilt sell the same tent. the ovs nomadic is the same tent. cvt has the same tent.
I've got the previous model of the smaller Smittybilt if you are in town and want to check it out. It would be a tight fit for three. They are also twice the price as when I bought them. Honestly, I'd suggest watching craigslist and facebook marketplace.

I've found the differences are a bit more than you'd think, as evidenced by my trying to make a Tepu liner fit my smittybilt. I'm building my liner own now.

trying to make a Tepu liner fit my smittybilt

ah i was even considering this exact thing after deciding they were all the same tent. tepui has some nice accessories for theirs. good to know that doesn't work, before i tried it myself.

IMG_1412.jpg

this is just a fun photo of me doing a terrible job tying down a load. pro tip, definitely prefer the anchors in the bed. criss cross applesauce, you guys. the car behind us almost learned a valuable lesson on our behalf.

going on a short road trip outside Oregon, which means I’ll have to pump my own gas (😳), which means I would like somewhere to hang the gas cap

picked up from liftd customs, on the other site

EF6912A5-F477-464E-93CA-015B1405E58C.jpeg

Back