• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

HELP ! Rear differential 3rd time problem after re-gear

TacomaMTB

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2016 Sport DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I re-gear my 2016 Tacoma 4 door long bed to 4:88 , after 10k miles the pinion seal got bad and got replaced and add an ARB Locker, after 5K miles a ring gear bolts came lose and a bolt made a hole in the 3rd member while I was driving in the freeway, then the 3rd member was completely replaced with new gear, and was cover under warranty from a "reputable" shop in Riverside Ca. after 5k more miles in a new 3rd member and new gears the rear passenger side started making a winding noise and quit, I keep driving with out a problem for 250 miles while I was going to a trip, came back and inspect the rear and saw oil in both ends of the differential, took it for inspection and the tech for a different shop found out that the seals were bad but also that another bold came lose and wrap the air line of the ARB locker, any idea why the ring gear bolts keeps coming lose? according to the "reputable" shop in Riverside they Loctite and torque the ring gear bolts to spec, I didn't feel any vibration in the drive shaft of my truck ( and I know about drive line vibrations bc I have a jeep that the drive line need to be replaced due to the vibration at 60MPH ) is the Drive line in my Tacoma an issue due to is a long truck? does anybody had this problem?
Note: In both occasions with the new gears I did the proper brake in period of the new gears for the 500 miles driving less than 30 minutes and wait to cool down and took it for inspection, I don't think the inspection goes down to open the 3rd member and inspect the gears bc I ask, they only change the gear oil.......

Any comments will be apreciated.

I re-gear my 2016 Tacoma 4 door long bed to 4:88 , after 10k miles the pinion seal got bad and got replaced and add an ARB Locker, after 5K miles a ring gear bolts came lose and a bolt made a hole in the 3rd member while I was driving in the freeway, then the 3rd member was completely replaced with new gear, and was cover under warranty from a "reputable" shop in Riverside Ca. after 5k more miles in a new 3rd member and new gears the rear passenger side started making a winding noise and quit, I keep driving with out a problem for 250 miles while I was going to a trip, came back and inspect the rear and saw oil in both ends of the differential, took it for inspection and the tech for a different shop found out that the seals were bad but also that another bold came lose and wrap the air line of the ARB locker, any idea why the ring gear bolts keeps coming lose? according to the "reputable" shop in Riverside they Loctite and torque the ring gear bolts to spec, I didn't feel any vibration in the drive shaft of my truck ( and I know about drive line vibrations bc I have a jeep that the drive line need to be replaced due to the vibration at 60MPH ) is the Drive line in my Tacoma an issue due to is a long truck? does anybody had this problem?
Note: In both occasions with the new gears I did the proper brake in period of the new gears for the 500 miles driving less than 30 minutes and wait to cool down and took it for inspection, I don't think the inspection goes down to open the 3rd member and inspect the gears bc I ask, they only change the gear oil.......

Any comments will be apreciated.
Yeah I’ve never heard of someone’s ring gear bolts coming loose like that, let alone it happening twice. That shop isn’t doing something right. Cali has a lot of good shops. I would go to a different one and have it all inspected again and replace what’s needs to be. If that shop is so reputable to they should be able to give you an answer as to why this keeps happening. But I know the hassle it can be with “reputable” shops sometimes. Been having occasional issues with my rear diff after a re-gear from a “reputable” shop. It’s been rebuilt twice now by them and still some occasional issues. Good thing I moved and have better shops around me know. Try to find a shop that specializes in Toyota diff work and has done a ton of them. It’s not cheap so I feel your pain.

Upvote 0
Yeah I’ve never heard of someone’s ring gear bolts coming loose like that, let alone it happening twice. That shop isn’t doing something right. Cali has a lot of good shops. I would go to a different one and have it all inspected again and replace what’s needs to be. If that shop is so reputable to they should be able to give you an answer as to why this keeps happening. But I know the hassle it can be with “reputable” shops sometimes. Been having occasional issues with my rear diff after a re-gear from a “reputable” shop. It’s been rebuilt twice now by them and still some occasional issues. Good thing I moved and have better shops around me know. Try to find a shop that specializes in Toyota diff work and has done a ton of them. It’s not cheap so I feel your pain.
Yes, now my truck is at a shop that specialize in just gears, in Riverside Ca.

Upvote 0
Most aren't going to like this, but here it is. You take a well engineered vehicle and modify it using aftermarket parts and then act surprised when things don't work out. Accept it, make repirs and move on.

Upvote 0
Back