• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help on Gears

Taco_Bone

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I feel like I’m right on the border between 4.88 and 5.29 I’d appreciate some thoughts/experience/suggestions. There pretty pricey just trying to do my due dillegence before jumping in. Running 285/70/17 (32.8”) I have the cap and planning for some sort of drawer system in the bed For continuous weight. Also, any recommendations in the Reno,NV area for install. Thanks!

Attachments

• F38CFD38-717A-43F9-A022-B48478A5DFC2.png
    F38CFD38-717A-43F9-A022-B48478A5DFC2.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 63
I just made the jump to 5.29 and it was the best choice I could have made. My acceleration is back and when off roading, hills have become easier. I run the same size tires on my truck that you do but I also have a steel front bumper, winch, decked system, acs rack, ikamper, and about 200 lbs of recovery gear, tools and parts. All that extra weight pushed me from considering 4.88 to getting 5.29. If you only have a topper shell and decked system with no plans to add more weight, you can get by with the 4.88s.

I just made the jump to 5.29 and it was the best choice I could have made. My acceleration is back and when off roading, hills have become easier. I run the same size tires on my truck that you do but I also have a steel front bumper, winch, decked system, acs rack, ikamper, and about 200 lbs of recovery gear, tools and parts. All that extra weight pushed me from considering 4.88 to getting 5.29. If you only have a topper shell and decked system with no plans to add more weight, you can get by with the 4.88s.
Thanks!

5.29s all the way is my suggestion.......

I’m leaning that way. If I don’t like it with the 33’s I guess I’ll have to shove some 35’s on there. Haha

5.29s are perfect with 33s in my opinion, cant give you one on 35s because I jumped from 33 to 37! I don't suggest it just because its a deep rabbit hole, however not looking back!

5.29s and don't look back. You'll be lucky if your truck still uses 6th gear after tires.

I have 4.88s and 35s (I got the 4.88s prior to 5.29s coming out).

Thanks! I’ll be going the 5.29 route. 37’s is impressive, I don’t even want to know what you had to do to get those on there. Haha

I don't plan on putting anything bigger than 33 so from the research I have done it looks like 48's will work for me. If I went with the 52s what advantage would I have with the smaller under 33 tires? Anybody know that answer? I don't have added weight to the front or rear really. I tow a jeep trailer with a roof nest on top so I have all the heavy stuff is in the trailer.

I don't plan on putting anything bigger than 33 so from the research I have done it looks like 48's will work for me. If I went with the 52s what advantage would I have with the smaller under 33 tires? Anybody know that answer? I don't have added weight to the front or rear really. I tow a jeep trailer with a roof nest on top so I have all the heavy stuff is in the trailer.

When I called Nitro to order my gears they asked me what size tires I was running. I told them 33s and they said with tires that small they recommend 4.88. But like I said in an earlier post, after I explained to Nitro that I had a ton of extra weight on my truck, they agreed that I needed 5.29. I would call Nitro or whoever you are ordering from and get their opinion.

Watch TacomaBeast YouTube channel when he goes to Nitro Gears. I never check, but the guy from Nitro Gears said we almost never use 6th gear. I will be going 5.29 with 33's when I regear.

Back