• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help me choose my lift kit.

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
Yes, I'm finally giving in and getting a lift. I've been scraping my skidplates a lot on my overland trips and I figure it's time as my rear leafs are inverted. So what should I choose, or rather, help me understand what the difference is between these two aside from the price:

$1,605.00

$3,814.02

As far as I can tell it's just a matter of how smooth the ride is. but $2209 is a lot of money for a smoother ride...Also, the $.02 in the price baffles me.

Last edited:
I like OME, but be aware that the leaf springs interfere with the shackles. I need to grind mine down.

I have the BP51 Heavy load. Also, if you go with the Heavy Load BP51, make sure the struts are set at the right preload before installing. Mine were not and I had to pull them off again.

-M

I have been running OME suspension for about 65k miles with no issues. The 886 coils work well with the winch, bumper, and much heavier batter.

I've been running that 1600 dollar OME system and have beat the shit out of it. I like it as an entry kit. It does its job well. The Dakar springs squeak like crazy but you get used to it. Definitely upgrade your bump stops if you haven't already. I have the medium duty and have bottomed them out a number of times. The coilover do their job and improve ride tremendously. Just dont plan on setting any speed records on fire roads or desert trails. They can be rough riding but that's expected for their size and not having any adjustability.

Thanks for the insight guys, I've just cashed out some stock and I'm going to YOLO the more expensive setup.

Yes, I'm finally giving in and getting a lift. I've been scraping my skidplates a lot on my overland trips and I figure it's time as my rear leafs are inverted. So what should I choose, or rather, help me understand what the difference is between these two aside from the price:

$1,605.00

$3,814.02

As far as I can tell it's just a matter of how smooth the ride is. but $2209 is a lot of money for a smoother ride...Also, the $.02 in the price baffles me.
I'm a bit late to the game here, sorry.
What's the difference between those two options? They're both OME, 2", heavy load kits. but one is $2200 more expensive than the other?

I'm a bit late to the game here, sorry.
What's the difference between those two options? They're both OME, 2", heavy load kits. but one is $2200 more expensive than the other?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I just did what Chris told me. He was saying that the Bp-51 would give a much better ride while the cheaper setup was more like the stock ride but with a lift. Admittedly, the BP-51 is WAY smoother than stock. I can drive over potholes and not really feel it now. I wasn't able to find a side by side comparison though.

Original link: https://youtu.be/YR0g6H4H568

$1,605.00

$3,814.02

Total Chaos +3.5 long travel suspension kit. Keep in mind this isn’t a lift it’s a suspension kit, more for Baja, prerunner, trophy truck style stuff. I have the 6” Rough a country lift on mine currently but I want to swap over to the long travel suspension. I’ve had mine for about 8 months now running 35’s and I love the look, it gives it a more aggressive stance for sure. If you purchase the TC LT suspension I’ll one for one swap with you lol.

How does everyone feel about Fox? I hear a lot of good things about them. Anyone running Fox suspension?

How does everyone feel about Fox? I hear a lot of good things about them. Anyone running Fox suspension?
Fox only if 2.5's and custom tuned. Their valving is garbage out of the box, way too stiff. IMO stay as far away as you can from their 2.0's.

Then again pretty much any 2.5's custom tuned for your specific vehicle will be nice.

Fox only if 2.5's and custom tuned. Their valving is garbage out of the box, way too stiff. IMO stay as far away as you can from their 2.0's.
I think this is the first bad thing I've ever heard about Fox

I think this is the first bad thing I've ever heard about Fox
You need to do more research then. If you look around you'll see people constantly complain about how stiff they are on every platform. I don't like my truck breaking my spine and chattering my teeth and rattling itself to pieces driving down the highway. Stiffness is good, but excessive stiffness is just unnecessary, and Fox tends to be one of the stiffer options available off the shelf. Accutune does wizardry with them and fixes the Foxness, but Foxes stock valving is harsh.

IMO:
Best budget shocks: Bilstein 5100's
Best budget coilovers: Eibach Stage 2 (stage 1 has ridiculously stiff springs)
After that, custom tune 2.5's with whatever valving type you prefer.

Last edited:
You need to do more research then. If you look around you'll see people constantly complain about how stiff they are on every platform. I don't like my truck breaking my spine and chattering my teeth and rattling itself to pieces driving down the highway. Stiffness is good, but excessive stiffness is just unnecessary, and Fox tends to be one of the stiffer options available off the shelf. Accutune does wizardry with them and fixes the Foxness, but Foxes stock valving is harsh.

IMO:
Best budget shocks: Bilstein 5100's
Best budget coilovers - Eibach Stage 2 (stage 1 has ridiculously stiff springs)
After that, custom tune 2.5's with whatever valving type you prefer.
So I should go with Bilstein for suspension upgrade? I just wanna get a 2" lift on 33's I think

So I should go with Bilstein for suspension upgrade? I just wanna get a 2" lift on 33's I think
If you are against spacers and that fits your budget, then yes.

I don't recommend lifting the front of these more than about 1.7" as they ride really awful when they don't have enough downtravel. Extended travel shocks and UCA's with more articulation help if you're looking to gain any performance vs just height, but there's a lot to it if you want to do it 'right'. The shocks themselves might be perfect for you, idk your preferences and needs, it's hard to choose suspension for someone else when there are so many options out there. My general recommendations were in the last post though.

If you are against spacers and that fits your budget, then yes.

I don't recommend lifting the front of these more than about 1.7" as they ride really awful when they don't have enough downtravel. Extended travel shocks and UCA's with more articulation help if you're looking to gain any performance vs just height, but there's a lot to it if you want to do it 'right'. The shocks themselves might be perfect for you, idk your preferences and needs, it's hard to choose suspension for someone else when there are so many options out there. My general recommendations were in the last post though.
Yea I've definitely heard a lot about the 5100's, I think I just want 2" of height with 33's and might have to use my "trim hammer" to prevent rubbing if I get any

I have the Fox 2.5 Performace Elite. Tuned from Acutune. I have zero complaints. Put 50k on an Old Man Emu kit and wore it out. These Fox coil covers made my truck drive hella better. Trails and roads that used to rattle my kidneys dont even register now.

Back