• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Performance Help lifting my Tacoma

2021taco

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
I see on R4T that they have a 7in dirt king lift. now obviously you need the long travel axels, with the long travel axel shafts to keep 4wd, you also need long travel upper and lower control arms along with the hardware kit to mount the shocks and arms. My question is what do I get for rear shocks and do you have to get custom driveshafts because you lifted the truck so much?

Well no technically once the truck is on the ground it should only be about 4.5 to 5in lift and once you have 35s or 37s on it shouldn’t be as noticeable. but you go from about 9 or 11 inches of travel to damn near 18 I think I seen in one video. I was originally gonna order the mid travel fox kit but I’m more interested in a real off-roading project so I wanna know what else I’d need for long travel

What are you looking to do with your truck specifically man? This is pretty confusing with the different measurements and kits. Anything over 3" is going to take considerable adjustments and work. Here to help not ridicule as much as possible!

Agree. 7 inches and 37's on a Tacoma takes a ton of work beyond the lift and tires. You'll be chopping or relocating body mounts, redoing drive shafts, regearing, and have a rather fragile truck unless in the upgrades you're beefing every thing up.

I would estimate you'll spend $15000 doing that to your truck. Better off selling the taco and getting a rubicon gladiator or wrangler that already has the Dana 44 axles and most hardware for it. $5000 and you'll have a top quality lift and easily run 37's with no trimming or anything else fancy. And to add some credibility: see below for my previous rig.
5ECECFED-FE02-4E79-A965-6F4F2A4427CA.jpeg

Agree. 7 inches and 37's on a Tacoma takes a ton of work beyond the lift and tires. You'll be chopping or relocating body mounts, redoing drive shafts, regearing, and have a rather fragile truck unless in the upgrades you're beefing every thing up.

I would estimate you'll spend $15000 doing that to your truck. Better off selling the taco and getting a rubicon gladiator or wrangler that already has the Dana 44 axles and most hardware for it. $5000 and you'll have a top quality lift and easily run 37's with no trimming or anything else fancy. And to add some credibility: see below for my previous rig.
5ECECFED-FE02-4E79-A965-6F4F2A4427CA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting for the Rubicon V8s, if there is a vehicle that would get me out of my Toyota it would be the ’22 Rubicon V8😋
Didn't they release a V8 Gladiator? Gladiator was on my list before I test drove a Tacoma.

The 392 rubicon's are out. You've got to pay over msrp to get one, but they are floating around.

Watch out for top heavy…one rule of thumb..for every inch up..you need to go one wider track ..to maintain balance…especially on turns and undeveloped hilly roads…?

What is your purpose for this super high lift? …hope you are a tall person..? Because climbing in and out as a daily driver…whew…and if you got kids, spouse? Getting in and out? Whew…
Gas mileage, regearing, ..better look into more powerful braking systems…?

Study this further..Do Tacomas with a 2.0 lifts able go same places as Tacoma’s with 4 inch ,6 inch and and higher ? …sure higher lifts will have higher ground clearance ( taller tires) ,better approach and departure angles…
7 inches? ..best to talk to many off road shops about what will meet your goals first…maybe a smaller lift will be a better investment?
Aloha

@2021taco - Are you referring to the 3.5” per side long travel kit?

Dirt King doesn’t make a 7” (height) lift at all.

I’ll send you a private message, I’d love to chat and help you out and put together the best lift for optimal performance for what you want to do. We stock it all and install everything as well.

Tons of Black Friday sales starting too!

www.NEO-garage.com

Watch out for top heavy…one rule of thumb..for every inch up..you need to go one wider track ..to maintain balance…especially on turns and undeveloped hilly roads…?

What is your purpose for this super high lift? …hope you are a tall person..? Because climbing in and out as a daily driver…whew…and if you got kids, spouse? Getting in and out? Whew…

Study this further..Do Tacomas with a 2.0 lifts able go same places as Tacoma’s with 4 inch ,6 inch and and higher ? …sure higher lifts will have higher ground clearance ( taller tires) ,better approach and departure angles…
7 inches? ..best to talk to many off road shops about what will meet your goals first…maybe a smaller lift will be a better investment?
Aloha

Aloha
Yes I am a pretty tall person haha so that shouldn’t be an issue but I already have a 3in level on my Tacoma currently with 285 toyos and there was 2 spots going to crown king i bottomed out on and had to do some driver mods to get out of😂😂. So what I’m looking for with my Tacoma is 35in tires for sure probably not 37s but maybe, and I’m looking to do 3.0 king shocks in the rear with bump stops, underleaf kit and a bed cage mount, then I’ll be gearing to 5.29 and I think for the front so far I’ve looked into the dirt king kit which comes with fox long travel suspension but then I would obviously still need another set of kings along with brackets and other stuff I have yet to look up and source. I basically want a air conditioned side by side😂😂

@2021taco - Are you referring to the 3.5” per side long travel kit?

Dirt King doesn’t make a 7” (height) lift at all.

I’ll send you a private message, I’d love to chat and help you out and put together the best lift for optimal performance for what you want to do. We stock it all and install everything as well.

Tons of Black Friday sales starting too!

www.NEO-garage.com
Yes that is the lift I’m talking about most likely it comes with the fox shocks then you gotta get all the other control arms and long travel axels and then do the rear end as well with a bed cage for 3.0 king shocks along with the king bump stops. I want a real prerunner, I’m not gonna be joining it too hard so I think I’ll be able to keep my 4wd

Back