• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Hello from Alberta

Dharmaboy

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I I purchased a TRD sport Premium in early April as I wanted double cab and a Manual. I couldn't afford a Pro and in Canada only the Access Cab Off Road, Sport Premium and Pro have the options of a MT.

I am looking to upgrade my tires and wheels as the Firestone Destinations will get me killed in the harsh winters we get here where it drops to nearly -40C on some days and lots of snowfalls over 5cm.

I am leaning toward a 265/70R17 Toyo AT3s as I can get a good deal on them through a friend at Fountain Tire Canada. I do like the larger sidewall look so I could do a R16 Rim as well.
The Rims I can get through my Fountain Tire Contact is the Replica 283 (ignore the price thats the ludacris mode pricing off the site).

The Offset on the wheels are +5mm, so maybe if I want the taller sidewall look I go with a 265/75R16?

Some input would be great. I don't want to do any cutting etc. Just want to avoid rubbing if possible.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2023-06-12 21_39_22-Direct Auto Import.png
    2023-06-12 21_39_22-Direct Auto Import.png
    186.6 KB · Views: 82
  • _lwLaQwfRdiSzqwblWSabg.jpg
    _lwLaQwfRdiSzqwblWSabg.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 73
Always tough to just have an answer once other things are changed. Here's the basic chart that's been floating around. For the largest tire that means on stock wheels/offsets.

Each Tacoma could be slightly different when it comes to tolerances. We're talking a couple inches makes difference.

I think most common tire upgrade sizes would be fine. Then base off that for the third set of tires where you want to be at.

This is a good tool to show how much the tire will move.

full

Thanks Boni,

I am almost leaning toward going with a stock size Toyo AT3s 265/65r17 and a Rim which is r17 with a 0 to +5 offset. With my budget being barely able to play around with the geometry. I think this will be safe. I asked a fellow Canadian TRD Sport owner and he said he stuck with stock tire size and went with a -10 offset rim and he had no rubbing issues at all.

Is it true but the dealership guys said to weary of the height of the tires as if you are not close to the height of the factory oem, your Toyota safety sense goes out of whack?

Yes, the height difference will mess with the safety sense equipment...a little.

But with the sizes you are discussing, you should be fine.

So I decided to go with my stock tires on the new TRD Rims and will go with true winters tires for the -40C fun times we have out here in December and January.

Attachments

• cEksu9W9Q4i41eH7PsT4fg.jpeg
    cEksu9W9Q4i41eH7PsT4fg.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 61
I have a '22 Sport 4x4 MT6, as long as you stay with 265/65/17 you can do the offset dance from +30 to -10 without problems.
265/70/17 are only 1" taller / 1/2" increase in axle height and 1/2" more rubber on top (1" is 1/2" on each side of the wheel)
Does not sound like much but when you change from the stock wheel offset you can get rubbing with articulation.

Staying with stock tire size is a good idea if you are going to be working your "stock" suspension like a truck will.
Going to a 70 also increases a bit of weight (up to 20%) and a little ratio as well, this is a downside to all big tires on a Tacoma.
I am sure Canada has the same shock set up as the US,... Hitachi. Standard tires here are the Toyo A30 which is a good road tire.

I will be getting the Toyo AT III's as well and am looking to stay the stock size for all the reasons.
You should really like the ride of the tires if you have the SL or XL's,..... E's can feel a bit rough riding on a light truck if you do a lot of road use.
You made a good choice they wear very well if you keep the proper pressure.

Back