• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Headlight bulbs...

Ty1on

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
After spending a couple hundred dollars on LED bulbs for high and low beams I'm finding that my choice wasn't good LOL... Reading More posts and gaining a bit more knowledge about projector headlights and regretting my decision. what is a good setup for the stock light housing? And has anybody ever heard of 20twenty lighting?

Im pretty happy with my VLEDs. Had morimoto 55 and 35w hid previously. The driverside ballast took a shit on both set ups.

never heard of that company

Upvote 0
So I had LED both in high and low beams. .. seem to work great and high beams wasn't stoked on the low beams so ended up switching them out to GE 130s and outshine and have a better beam pattern then the high Buck LEDs they also shine way further forward down the road.. the LEDs I had we're very white and very bright but not for a far distance just my two cents and what I'm finding out..
20191112_173731.jpg
20191112_174154.jpg

Upvote 0
So I had LED both in high and low beams. .. seem to work great and high beams wasn't stoked on the low beams so ended up switching them out to GE 130s and outshine and have a better beam pattern then the high Buck LEDs they also shine way further forward down the road.. the LEDs I had we're very white and very bright but not for a far distance just my two cents and what I'm finding out..
20191112_173731.jpg
20191112_174154.jpg
The pre 2020 3rd gen housing is a halogen projector , not a hid projector and not a led projector.
Not to say they wont work , it's just not designed for it , now hid vs led , hid will work better in the setup , led will require alot of fiddling around or a good thought out design (due to fact MOST leds are not tru 360 degree of light MOST will be 2 sided 1 panel perside which would then mean the led would need to be adjusted correctly in the housing to get best results)
When it comes to color spectrum. White and blue look good and nice they are bright but as you mentioned you are correct they lack distance .4300k-4500k is off white and will give a better distance wont appear as bright but the throw will be better
With ofcourse proper aiming

Ofcourse higher "k" can give distance too, but then we start talking about overall housing and reflector design power consumption etc...

Upvote 0
Trimming the philips h9 seems to be a cost effective method for brighter headlights. The bulbs are $7-$10 and are double the stock output.

Upvote 0
Back