• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Ham Test

406Camper

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR AC Auto
Quicksand
I passed my Ham Technician test today and officially became a member of the tighty-whities club. Highly recommend Hamstudy.org. I am not at all a technical person. Started 1 hour a day (you can break it up throughout the day) on Monday studying the questions online and I was testing at 90% by Friday. There are 35 questions total on the test of a pool of about 400 questions. If you are interested, do it now as there is a new test in JULY. Not sure if it will be easier or harder, but just new.
HAM is far superior to CB, FRS or GMRS.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about going for this, too. HAM does seem like the best, and since I do a lot of solo trips I should have a way to communicate. Are you going to stop at Technician or go higher?

@Meclizine, I only need Technician for off road comms. I took the General today as well without looking at a single study question and failed miserably. I'd like to get into helping out with Search and Rescue in my local area, so I may go further. Probably just need to study like I did for a week again. Same format (35 questions) but I believe the pool of questions is greater. I hope this helps.

You should get your call sign on FCC database within 5 business days. Print it off, sign it, and laminate!

KC3TIK

But it's a mod on the list. ;)
"In order to run the 100W ham radio I had to add a second battery, upgrade the alternator and run 8 AWG wire into the cab, but it's worth it cause the antenna looks RAD right next to the cheap amazon ditch light pods. Not sure why I get such bad reception though..."

While I do have a license consider this. If the EOTWAWKI happens anyone with a set can transmit without fear. Who's going to be around to enforce the rules?

Very valid point. I was surprised to learn that the FCC leaves the monitoring to local HAM clubs and repeaters for compliance. Who is going to be around then?

While I do have a license consider this. If the EOTWAWKI happens anyone with a set can transmit without fear. Who's going to be around to enforce the rules?
The rules allow unlicensed use in emergencies anyway, but you’re right, there won’t be any enforcement.

Back