• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Grinding noise coming from rear 2020 O/R 6MT

Shitbird3rdgen

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
So I bought a 2020 off road 6MT and at 1300 miles I’m starting to hear a light grinding noise coming from the back of the truck. It’s kind of subtle, you have to have all the windows up, a/c off and open the rear sliding window and you can hear it. It starts up around 25-30 mph, and stays constant, even in neutral, up until around 20 mph and it’ll stop.
I was hoping maybe it was just dirt stuck in the rear drums, but it sounds too “metallic,” ya know? I even took it to the dealership and they said they took a look at the drums and didn’t “hear anything abnormal, and that it’s not a safety concern at this point.”
I’m going nucking futs because a new truck shouldn’t be making noises right?
let me try and upload a video of the noise and hopefully y’all can help me diagnose this.

Tough to hear in the videos but I think I hear what you're describing.

Does the noise change under braking? Have you gotten under there and seen if there's anything hung up or rubbing? Does the noise change pitch with vehicle speed or stay consistent?

Upvote 0
It doesn’t change under braking, and I’ve only taken a quick look but nothing seems out of the ordinary. It does get a little louder at highway speeds like 60 and up, but as far as the speed of the scratching it stays pretty consistent.
Could it be the diff?

Upvote 0
It could be, but it could also be a number of things.

I'd take it to the dealer asap.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think I’m going to take it to a different dealer, cause it seems like the one I took it to couldn’t give less of a shit.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think I’m going to take it to a different dealer, cause it seems like the one I took it to couldn’t give less of a shit.

Definitely time to find a different dealer. Might not be a bad idea to call corporate and explain you've got the issue, but are having trouble finding a dealer willing to help you. That way it's documented in case something happens.

Upvote 0
I have a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off-road with 6500 miles on it. The dealer just ordered me an entire Rear Differential. I had to force the master tech to place the truck on the lift and listen to the diff while the wheels were spinning. He immediately knew he was in for it.

Upvote 0
So I bought a 2020 off road 6MT and at 1300 miles I’m starting to hear a light grinding noise coming from the back of the truck. It’s kind of subtle, you have to have all the windows up, a/c off and open the rear sliding window and you can hear it. It starts up around 25-30 mph, and stays constant, even in neutral, up until around 20 mph and it’ll stop.
I was hoping maybe it was just dirt stuck in the rear drums, but it sounds too “metallic,” ya know? I even took it to the dealership and they said they took a look at the drums and didn’t “hear anything abnormal, and that it’s not a safety concern at this point.”
let me try and upload a video of the noise and hopefully y’all can help me diagnose this.
It’s your differential. That is no doubt. The exact same sound that mine has, and is being replaced on Friday by the dealer.

Upvote 0
Just got back from the dealer. When they drained the Differential the oil was jet black. The master tech said that it was like nothing he had ever seen. He said that even if I were towing the max Payload for the entire 6500 miles that I have on the odometer, it still shouldn’t be that black.
So yeah, he replaced the entire rear diff under warranty and I am happy to report that the noise is now gone. I have only driven it 5 miles from the dealership, but I will update you guys either when the noise comes back, or at my next oil change. I perform them every 3500 miles.

Upvote 0
Just got back from the dealer. When they drained the Differential the oil was jet black. The master tech said that it was like nothing he had ever seen. He said that even if I were towing the max Payload for the entire 6500 miles that I have on the odometer, it still shouldn’t be that black.
So yeah, he replaced the entire rear diff under warranty and I am happy to report that the noise is now gone. I have only driven it 5 miles from the dealership, but I will update you guys either when the noise comes back, or at my next oil change. I perform them every 3500 miles.

Was there any sort of metal chunks in the fluid?

Upvote 0
Shitbird and Girthquake - does this noise sound the same to you? Just bought a 2018 OR with 27,000 on it and I’m thinking this is the same noise. I’m gonna try and take it in this week. Shouldn’t have any problems with that being under warranty right?

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread. But just wondering if you solved the issue? I have a 2019 Trd MT and it’s making the same noise. No mechanical issues so far just that annoying noise. I tuned it out for awhile after multiple dealerships told me it was normal. But now I have a canopy and it seems to amplify the noise when my rear slider window is open.

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread. But just wondering if you solved the issue? I have a 2019 Trd MT and it’s making the same noise. No mechanical issues so far just that annoying noise. I tuned it out for awhile after multiple dealerships told me it was normal. But now I have a canopy and it seems to amplify the noise when my rear slider window is open.
So sorry I haven’t replied in so long y’all. I completely forgot I had this account.

So they ended up replacing my rear diff as well, but even with this new one I still hear it faintly so I guessing it’s just how the diff sounds. The diff hasn’t ever given me problems even after a lift and 33s, so I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Upvote 0
Back