• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Fueling issue and pressure in tank

tyr26

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2017 SR5 a few weeks ago and it has been awesome for the most part. The past two times i have gone to fill up my tank, when I take off the gas cap there is a very strong hiss and it lets out a bunch of pressure. It then will not fill the tank without shutting off every two seconds. I was thinking it could be an evap cannister issue but I am not getting any codes. is the pressure in the tank dangerous? Any help is much appreciated.

Your on the right track, could have a tank vent or hose blockage.
The Tacoma has a fuel tank pressure regulating system, It actually has a pump that will remove air pressure even when the truck is parked if it gets over pressurized.

Some have heard it pump air pressure from the tank when its parked in the garage without he key even in it.
This is normal and a designed safety by Toyota.

It would be worth a visit to the dealer or a VERY GOOD Toyota mechanic to find the non-venting issue.
It is a simple system if you know how it works BUT you dont want a mechanic trying to find something he has no idea what hes looking for.

Personally I would ask the place you bought it from to allow you to take it to the Toyota dealer for a diagnostic and help with the cost of the fix.
But I would not let them touch it if they are not Toyota Certified,..... save your self a big headache. You dont want someone to just install a vent.

Are you getting a dash light trouble light?
It is possible someone erased the code to turn the light out,,,,, but a Toyota tech will find the code if it was "erased" because its in memory.
If they did erase it ,... most likely will come back on after a certain amount of engine cycles.

Make an appointment for a gas tank pressure diagnostic test.
That way you know whats up and can fix it correctly.

Upvote 0
I just purchased a 2017 SR5 a few weeks ago and it has been awesome for the most part. The past two times i have gone to fill up my tank, when I take off the gas cap there is a very strong hiss and it lets out a bunch of pressure. It then will not fill the tank without shutting off every two seconds. I was thinking it could be an evap cannister issue but I am not getting any codes. is the pressure in the tank dangerous? Any help is much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Back