• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Fuel range

Fabio_369

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
So kinda just being a little picky here I guess but it’s been bugging me lol I don’t know if any of you guys have noticed when you’ve filled your fuel tanks that the fuel range distance to empty has decreased from when you first got it?
Like for example when I first got my truck, the first two times ive filled it up I got 360 miles to empty
Today I’m at 330 miles to empty after I’ve filled it, has anyone noticed that? Anyone know why?

So kinda just being a little picky here I guess but it’s been bugging me lol I don’t know if any of you guys have noticed when you’ve filled your fuel tanks that the fuel range distance to empty has decreased from when you first got it?
Like for example when I first got my truck, the first two times ive filled it up I got 360 miles to empty
Today I’m at 330 miles to empty after I’ve filled it, has anyone noticed that? Anyone know why?
That’s normal. The truck is getting used to your driving so it’s calculating the distance till empty. I’m sure other could explain it better lol but it is normal, nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0
Yeah ^

Mine was a little over 400per tank (it read)

First fill up dropped to 380ish. I was like wut? But it made since as I only averaged 45-46 mph on a 40 mile trip to work.

Upvote 0
Mine fluctuates with each full up. It seems to take an average from the previous tank. If the previous tank was all highway the next full up usually shows 370-380. If it’s all city miles the next tank will be around 340-350.

Upvote 0
I believe it’s based on what your average mpg was before you filled up.

Upvote 0
What is your guys average MPG anyways? I am getting 14.2 average with a bedrack and a tent :cautious:

Upvote 0
What is your guys average MPG anyways? I am getting 14.2 average with a bedrack and a tent :cautious:
I’m getting 12. Not only has my fuel range number decreased from stock, but its estimations are always way off as well. I obviously don’t expect to get the 360-380 anymore, but the numbers it gives me now are still too high to be accurate which makes this info useless while driving.

Upvote 0
If you idle a lot it will throw off your range and mpgs. The best way to spot check it is to fill her up till the pump clicks (preferably same station and pump), document your mileage, drive normally for a few hundred miles, then fill her back up and divide mileage by gallons used. Old school but it sometimes is completely different from the computers calculations

Upvote 0
I’ve noticed that my average fuel mileage and average tank mileage is different. The numbers should be closer together than farther apart ? Tank until empty is 385
Average mileage is about 20-22.5, while average tank mileage is about 17.2-19.5 unless I reset it while driving. Then it’s average mileage is much higher than average tank mileage. Significantly the average tank mileage is the same as above but my average mileage is much higher 22.5 -30
Has anyone else seen this

Upvote 0
I noticed the same thing so I just replaced my plugs, cleaned the mass air flow sensor and cleaned out and scrubbed my throttle body and put it back together and changed my air filter and ran 2 tanks of super unleaded through my truck mixed with Lucas fuel system treatment and my mileage went back up depending on my driving which effects it but what I noticed most was recently hat after a week of driving back & forth to work the same way as previously I now have a 1/4 tank left when I used to be on “E” running on fumes, Learned all this on the college of YouTube. Lol. Lol. It really worked, give it a shot I think you’ll be happy you did, I got the throttle body spray cleaner and mass air flow sensor cleaner at Autozone and picked up a Gallon of Lucas fuel system treatment off Amazon. Good luck all & merry Christmas

Upvote 0
Lol,
Mine says 257, I think thats the lowest it can go...

Upvote 0
Same here…2019 Trd LB….the estimate mileage did drop, 247 till empty? …maybe it is the way I drive…interesting how computers can adapt to your driving style…. Off course I did do a lift and added bigger tires..a Leer camper top…
I do carry more weight today , recovery gears, more tools, then the first year I had the truck..
Yesterday I did mostly highway driving …got a reading of 17 mpg…I was expecting less…
Aloha

Upvote 0
I drive back roads to work every day, 5 stops in 6 miles. I get 12mpg 🤪.

16 highway, but I drive like a screaming banshee everywhere I go. Glad you guys get north of that.
I get about 17.5 running roads between State College and Harrisburg, PA. I also run like a madman and almost never put it into 6th. I don't use Shiitz fuel either, I use Rutters as they are Top Tier rated.

Upvote 0
[/QUOTE mine went from 369 to 360]

Upvote 0
Back