• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Front Suspension Help

DesertYota18

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Silver Sky
Whats up guys,
I own a 2018 Tacoma and just had a local shop install Dirt King upper/lower control arms with Fox 2.5 W/ resi DSC. After the install, they took it to the alignment shop and after the alignment was complete, the driver side sat almost 2" lower than passenger side. The shop basically compensated the difference by making an adjustment to the driver side preload collar while leaving the passenger side the same. It's level now, but the driver and passenger side preload are not matching. I don't believe that is right. Hope y'all understand the question. Any suggestions?

pApDbVnGS1++qZtK1xHnyw.jpg

Attachments

• %Aa8lZbeTtS%GDmZqQNBAg.jpg
    %Aa8lZbeTtS%GDmZqQNBAg.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0
Also a pic of the lowers too, trying to help others see as well. Might be able to figure it out from the pics

Upvote 0
I know that the Tacomas have a “taco lean” and most are solved with a spacer they sell. But being you said it’s like 2” that’s a little excessive for a taco lean. I could be wrong though. Different suspension could have different outcomes too

Upvote 0
Not sure why my photos uploaded like this but hope this help. So, after the initial install, I believe the truck sat level. The shop took the truck to get an alignment and the driver side sat lower than the passenger. The shop set driver side at 2" and the passenger side at 1.25" to compensate and now the truck sits level. Is this right? I believe both sides should match, right? Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Sounds like you may need the “lean spacer” I had to install it on mine. Was leaning a lot to the drivers side after installing new suspension. The spacer corrected the problem.

Once you have that done, you will obviously have to have the preload adjusted properly.

Upvote 0
Any particular company I can look into getting this "lean spacer" from? Thanks for your input man.

Upvote 0
A taco lean isn't that bad , I would check if the coils and cool covers are on the right side there

Upvote 0
A taco lean isn't that bad , I would check if the coils and cool covers are on the right side there

That’s what I initially thought but then it was mentioned that one side was 2” and the other was 1.25” so 3/4” is more reasonable.

Upvote 0
Thanks for yall's responses. After doing a little more reading, it seems like my issue is a very common one, and can be fixed by either the spacer or simply making adjustments to the shock preload collar, depending on what shock setup you have. Problem solved lol. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Adjusting the collars is the right way to do it. You’re just preloading that’s spring, you don’t want to go over board, but that’s the right way.

Preload in general isn’t what you want, if it were me, I would do a 600x14” spring or 650x14” spring.

The stock 13” springs aren’t enough for the 3rd gens since they’re a bit heavier now.

Upvote 0
Thanks @ Neo Garage. I believe that my coils are 700lbs wrapped around 2.5 Fox W/resi's. I am learning that there is a happy medium between wanting max height, but not too much preload. Overall, I have the issue that I was having figured out. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Back