• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

From a Jeep JL to ‘19 TRD OR DCLB

Tactical_CementMN

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Cement
Hey everyone, been here lurking around for a bit now and finally thought I’d introduce myself since my truck finally arrived at the dealer this week.

A little about me:

I came from tuner cars & street bikes to start out - an eclipse, mazdaspeed3, neon srt-4’s, bugeye wrx, evo x.
463D76F2-BAB2-4FA4-813D-CB8A59F9C5ED.jpeg
D411BEC7-7E2E-4036-B1D8-5F14FE505E8D.jpeg

Then made a big switch to a 3rd Gen Ram 3/4 ton Cummins
F2A9ED0D-4986-4DB0-A27E-E76C12B26B11.jpeg
- 5” lift on 37’s, bigger turbo, injectors, tune, etc. I enjoyed the truck a lot but started to get to the point where everything else just started to rust away and fail on it. Being a heavy machinery mechanic during the day (10-15hr days) fixing other people’s equipment, the last thing I typically want to do is come home and fix my own vehicle :LOL::LOL:

So last April I traded the Ram in on a brand new ‘18 Jeep JL Wrangler..
9C9B08FA-A820-4B26-BA95-D7BC7FC79C18.jpeg
and let me tell you - what a huge mistake that was.

But here I am now, just shy of a year of owning it and months of going through the lemon law process - I got approval early March of a buyback from FCA.

All the while of going through the lemon law process I was on the lookout of what I was going to replace the JL with and originally I thought I was going to go with a TRD OR 4Runner. I test drove a few, really enjoyed the 4Runner but on the other hand I really missed having a truck bed to haul things in but didnt really have a need for a 1/2 ton truck - not to mention the price difference of the Tacoma to Tundra. So I decided to pull the trigger on the Tacoma, especially once I saw one in Cement - I HAD to have it.

2019 TRD Off Road DCLB w/ tech package - having them swap out the stock Wranglers for 265/75R16 Duratracs all around (including spare).

Here she is:
163CCD97-EB38-40D3-869D-BF9C37D8BAC8.jpeg

Loved that car man. I swapped the GSR trunk off mine for a MR in an attempt to make it a little more inconspicuous but the combination of my turbo back exhaust and my right foot didnt help me much.

I did that then found the fancy trunk. Lol

evo washed.jpg

Nice selection of vehicles. To bad the Jeep put you through the ? process, but hey, see least you're in a ? now!

Welcome. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Looks like you're the kind of person that can't leave things stock. ???

Welcome to the forum! I’m surprised the JL didn’t work out for you. What was it?

Regardless, great final choice. Especially on the longbed. Welcome to the Taco life.

Nice selection of vehicles. To bad the Jeep put you through the ? process, but hey, see least you're in a ? now!

Welcome. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Looks like you're the kind of person that can't leave things stock. ???

Thanks! Everything happens for a reason and obviously I was just meant to have a taco.

I already have a parts pile lol

Welcome to the forum! I’m surprised the JL didn’t work out for you. What was it?

Regardless, great final choice. Especially on the longbed. Welcome to the Taco life.

Man, it would be easier to tell you what wasn’t wrong with it. My fuel lines at the tank cracked at 2,000 miles, radiator was leaking, rear defroster broke, rear hatch glass was leaking, electric power steering went out when I was driving - which almost lead to crash, constant radio problems which they never ended up fixing. I’m sure I’m forgetting something but that’s the gist of it.

Thanks for the welcome, I’m excited to have a truck once again.

Thanks! Everything happens for a reason and obviously I was just meant to have a taco.

I already have a parts pile lol

Man, it would be easier to tell you what wasn’t wrong with it. My fuel lines at the tank cracked at 2,000 miles, radiator was leaking, rear defroster broke, rear hatch glass was leaking, electric power steering went out when I was driving - which almost lead to crash, constant radio problems which they never ended up fixing. I’m sure I’m forgetting something but that’s the gist of it.

Thanks for the welcome, I’m excited to have a truck once again.
Holy crap! That sucks. At least you have a truck you’ll be mostly happy with now.

Crazy how disgustingly yellow and weak the factory bulbs are.

Got the Prinsu CabRac installed with the Smittybilt Overlander RTT on top. After mounting it, I realized that I wanted a bed rack to mount it on instead so now I have a order placed for Victory4x4’s new bed rack but for now, this is where it’s at. Making a trip up to Duluth, MN this weekend so we’ll see how it works out!

Got the Prinsu CabRac installed with the Smittybilt Overlander RTT on top. After mounting it, I realized that I wanted a bed rack to mount it on instead so now I have a order placed for Victory4x4’s new bed rack but for now, this is where it’s at. Making a trip up to Duluth, MN this weekend so we’ll see how it works out!

I ran my tent like that for a while but then I decided I hated it and moved it to the bed. @Victory4x4 racks seem sweet so I’m sure you’ll be happy you did.

You'll love the bed rack, so much versatility.

Back