• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Fridge Solar and Power Options?

AZ_CAVALRY

8️⃣ Paragon
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cavalry Blue
What's up everyone! I'm planning a three month trip this summer, traveling around taking photos and living out of my truck. I'm currently looking at options for a fridge and solar setup, and need some recommendations. First and foremost, I will be buying a Dometic CFX40W. It's just me, so that should be a good size to keep in the backseat (maybe not, change my mind?). I've heard great things about using a Goal Zero Yeti 400 paired with a Boulder 50 solar panel up on the roof.

I would plug in the Yeti 400 to the cigarette lighter while I'm driving, and switch it to the solar when I'm parked or out shooting photos. Would this be enough power to keep the fridge going 24/7 for three months?

Is it worth going with a different solar panel? I've had people recommend Renogy as well.

I can get a Yeti 400 and Boulder 50 for around $350 right now, and I'm trying to save as much money as possible to put it toward the trip.

is this a realistic way to go? Should I look into dual battery setup instead?

If you are driving every day then you can probably keep the Yeti charged without solar. There are lots a variables--what is the ambient temperature, how often are you opening the reefer, how often are you putting warm drinks in it, do you want to park in bright sunlight to maximize the efficiency of the solar panel.... A 50 watt panel isn't big enough to provide much help.

If you are driving every day then you can probably keep the Yeti charged without solar. There are lots a variables--what is the ambient temperature, how often are you opening the reefer, how often are you putting warm drinks in it, do you want to park in bright sunlight to maximize the efficiency of the solar panel.... A 50 watt panel isn't big enough to provide much help.
Yeah true there definitely would be alot of variables. I think being able to park in direct sunlight would be the biggest headache. I think it makes sense to just have the yeti plugged into the truck. I wanted to make sure the fridge would have enough juice to hold temp all night when I'm not driving. Maybe I will use the money I would spend on a solar panel to upgrade to a bigger yeti! I appreciate the advice!

Back