• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Electrical Forward Parking assist

Charneydvm

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hi just got back into a tacoma after 10 year hiatus. Love having the truck but where i live now compared to 10 years ago makes head in parking and sometimes turning on narrow streets a bit challenging. I have a 2021 trd sport double cab with extended bed. I do have a back up camera and rear sensors. Is there anything i can so for the front?

thank you

This one works for the 2021.

I recommend this one.

Just make sure it's the correct version for your year vehicle. Has it up to 2019. I know they made changes to the 2020+. But there should be other compatible options.

Plug N Play install.

Grab this camera.

Instructions are pretty clear. Let me know if you need more info on the wiring.

This allows you to retain the factory head unit with anytime functionality.
Hit "Mode" twice and it will turn on the camera. Press the selection button on the steering wheel and it will toggle between front and rear cameras.

Another option is swapping out the head unit for an Android one. They have front and back camera modes built in. Easy plug and play.

Last edited:

This one works for the 2021.

I recommend this one.

Just make sure it's the correct version for your year vehicle. Has it up to 2019. I know they made changes to the 2020+. But there should be other compatible options.

Plug N Play install.

Grab this camera.

Instructions are pretty clear. Let me know if you need more info on the wiring.

This allows you to retain the factory head unit with anytime functionality.
Hit "Mode" twice and it will turn on the camera. Press the selection button on the steering wheel and it will toggle between front and rear cameras.

Another option is swapping out the head unit for an Android one. They have front and back camera modes built in. Easy plug and play.
sorry this is definitely not my strong point here
so three links here
the first is a complete package for my truck has everything I need?
though your preferences are links two and three? As long as it works for the 2021?

Also for the first link or links 2 and 3 where does the forward facing cameras get mounted?

Thank you I really appreciate your input here

Last edited:
Sorry it was an info dump.

Just focus on the first link.
This one.

Here's the entire install guide that takes you step by step.

Camera can be mounted many ways. Can do under the bumper or in the grill.
Here are some grill mounts.

This one.

Do some reading on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It can not void the warranty unless it directly affects the problem.
They can not void warranty for something completely unrelated what what you install or work on.

While running the front camera wire, it has to go through an opening in the firewall. If you use a sharp object to jam the line through and cut/open up a wire inside which causes a short, they have every right to say it's not covered as you caused the issue. Could even be an accident and you have to own that one.
If they can't prove the issue was caused by your own doing, you're good and they have to honor the warranty. Some can be cool and just cover little mistakes as good will. But it's harmless and you don't have to worry about the warranty on an install like this. There is a boot grommet most people use for the front camera cable. Just use a snip to create a little cut to guide the wire into the cab. Just don't jam a razor blade down there violently brute slashing everything in it's path. Make sense?

I grabbed one of these and it's been great for a lot of things. Guiding wiring through boots. Can also use a wire coat hanger. Can tape the wire around and pull it through.

Last edited:

This one.

So been talking to a couple of garages and found one by me that i like
They are very comfortable doing the install
Which option do you feel is best the
first one

or the second one if they have it for my year

I felt like the second option is your preference but want to confirm

the garage has cameras that they use if this makes a difference

lastly I have an after market raptor grille know off hand of a mount for this grille or can I use the ones you posted from taco vinyl (my grill is coming from them) or taco garage

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hi just got back into a tacoma after 10 year hiatus. Love having the truck but where i live now compared to 10 years ago makes head in parking and sometimes turning on narrow streets a bit challenging. I have a 2021 trd sport double cab with extended bed. I do have a back up camera and rear sensors. Is there anything i can so for the front?

thank you
I have the exact same vehicle, and almost the same question. The differences I’d really like to add proximity sensors to the front like I have on the back. Is that possible and if so, how do I do it and where do I get the parts? Thank you, Gunther

I find the front camera to not be that helpful. It can tell you how close you are to things, but you have to calibrate your judgment about it. But you also have to calibrate your judgment looking down the hood. I don't find it to be worth the expense and effort of installation.

Back