• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

For those of you with RTTs with a left or right opening, which do you choose?

RTT ladder, driver side or passenger side?

• Total voters

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
So I always have the ladder on the drivers side because that puts me closer to the driver side door in case of...I don't know, quick escapes? Anyway, I'm looking at getting a trailer so I'm thinking about switching it because trailer door openings are always on the passenger side. Kind of made me wonder if I've been doing it wrong. Most of my camping is out in the woods so it doesn't really matter but when I have gone to campgrounds it's a little problematic as I pull in forwards and the tailgate is facing the road. Anyway, how do you have it setup?

Driver's side 100%. I just like being able to go from driving down the road to deploying my tent and sleeping without having to touch the other side of the truck

Passenger side. We set up our earlier RTT setup and our current camper setup to be more accessible from the passenger side of the vehicle. I make it so the truck is laid out so that if any access of any gear, equipment, or whatever is needed it is primarily accessible from the passenger side just in case you have to access stuff on the side of the road. I want to be away from traffic, not closer to it. Obviously you may not flip your tent much on the side of the road, but I have. I've cleaned it out in front of my house, and I've camped on the side of the highway on Big Sur.

Passenger side. We set up our earlier RTT setup and our current camper setup to be more accessible from the passenger side of the vehicle. I make it so the truck is laid out so that if any access of any gear, equipment, or whatever is needed it is primarily accessible from the passenger side just in case you have to access stuff on the side of the road. I want to be away from traffic, not closer to it. Obviously you may not flip your tent much on the side of the road, but I have. I've cleaned it out in front of my house, and I've camped on the side of the highway on Big Sur.

Smart

I did Driver side. I have to walk around the truck about 9 times to set it up, but I wanted an awning on the passenger side so driver side made more sense for the tent opening.

-M

I’ve actually had it on both sides. I have traction boards mounted on my bed rack on the drivers side, hilift on the passenger side. I ended up having to take the traction boards off every time just to open my tent. I was too lazy to switch everything on the rack, and eventually got an awning on the passenger side, so flipping it to that side just made more sense to me.

Driver's side. When I deploy the tent, I let the cover drape down and put up the annex room. The other side has my trasharoo.
When I get to a campsite, I like the idea of looking right out the driver's side door window as I envision fire pit location and then I can place the truck exactly where I want it as I anticipate where the ladder will drop.

Soooo....I've been giving it some thought and I think I'm going to switch to a rear ladder. That would give me better access to my forward racks (through a door VS a window) and narrow my profile. Nobody does this though and I don't know why. I've also considered front openings but I'm not sure I have the range over the hood

I'd do a rear ladder in a heartbeat, but my mid height rack means that I'd always be bending over to get into the truck bed, and since I use the tailgate to prep food, a rear ladder combined with a mid rack would be impractical.

I have mounted mine both ways at different times. I originally did it to the passenger side but now I am adding an awning so I have it mounted to the driver's side so my 270* awning covers the kitchen area in the back.

If my tent was narrower, I'd turn it and have it flip over the back like the AT overland tents do but mine is 62" long which is just too wide for the Tacoma in my opinion.

Mine opens to the passenger side. I did it for safety reasons, assuming I ever park and camp next to a road (which honestly isn't likely). However, I'm about to get an 8x8 awning from ARB and I think I want that mounted on the passenger side, so I'm probably going to rotate to a rear-open option and use the bottom side of the RTT to mount some hooks for lights and turn that back area into an open room type of situation.

Or I'll change my mind and turn it all around ever other trip!

Back