For those of you with RTTs with a left or right opening, which do you choose?

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

RTT ladder, driver side or passenger side?

• Total voters

RevN3

T3G Level: Diamond
RotM Winner
T3G Supporter
T3G Member
#1,323
So I always have the ladder on the drivers side because that puts me closer to the driver side door in case of...I don't know, quick escapes? Anyway, I'm looking at getting a trailer so I'm thinking about switching it because trailer door openings are always on the passenger side. Kind of made me wonder if I've been doing it wrong. Most of my camping is out in the woods so it doesn't really matter but when I have gone to campgrounds it's a little problematic as I pull in forwards and the tailgate is facing the road. Anyway, how do you have it setup?

oretaco

T3G Level: Gold
T3G Supporter
First Name
Cameron
T3G Member
#1,684
Driver's side 100%. I just like being able to go from driving down the road to deploying my tent and sleeping without having to touch the other side of the truck

Mr. Nobody

T3G Level: Grandmaster
Administrator
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
Passenger side. We set up our earlier RTT setup and our current camper setup to be more accessible from the passenger side of the vehicle. I make it so the truck is laid out so that if any access of any gear, equipment, or whatever is needed it is primarily accessible from the passenger side just in case you have to access stuff on the side of the road. I want to be away from traffic, not closer to it. Obviously you may not flip your tent much on the side of the road, but I have. I've cleaned it out in front of my house, and I've camped on the side of the highway on Big Sur.

nickyreno

T3G Supporter
First Name
Nick
Military
Army (Vet.)
T3G Member
#5,704
Passenger side. We set up our earlier RTT setup and our current camper setup to be more accessible from the passenger side of the vehicle. I make it so the truck is laid out so that if any access of any gear, equipment, or whatever is needed it is primarily accessible from the passenger side just in case you have to access stuff on the side of the road. I want to be away from traffic, not closer to it. Obviously you may not flip your tent much on the side of the road, but I have. I've cleaned it out in front of my house, and I've camped on the side of the highway on Big Sur.
Smart

StormRnr

T3G Level: Bronze
First Name
Mike
T3G Member
#6,287
I did Driver side. I have to walk around the truck about 9 times to set it up, but I wanted an awning on the passenger side so driver side made more sense for the tent opening.

-M

AZ_CAVALRY

First Name
Josh
T3G Member
I’ve actually had it on both sides. I have traction boards mounted on my bed rack on the drivers side, hilift on the passenger side. I ended up having to take the traction boards off every time just to open my tent. I was too lazy to switch everything on the rack, and eventually got an awning on the passenger side, so flipping it to that side just made more sense to me.

Sbr7

T3G Level: Silver
T3G Supporter
Military
Army
T3G Member
#4,264
Driver's side. When I deploy the tent, I let the cover drape down and put up the annex room. The other side has my trasharoo.
When I get to a campsite, I like the idea of looking right out the driver's side door window as I envision fire pit location and then I can place the truck exactly where I want it as I anticipate where the ladder will drop.

Top Bottom