For those of you with RTTs with a left or right opening, which do you choose?

RTT ladder, driver side or passenger side?

• Total voters

RevN3

✓ • Aficionado
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#1,323
So I always have the ladder on the drivers side because that puts me closer to the driver side door in case of...I don't know, quick escapes? Anyway, I'm looking at getting a trailer so I'm thinking about switching it because trailer door openings are always on the passenger side. Kind of made me wonder if I've been doing it wrong. Most of my camping is out in the woods so it doesn't really matter but when I have gone to campgrounds it's a little problematic as I pull in forwards and the tailgate is facing the road. Anyway, how do you have it setup?

oretaco

✓ • Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
SR
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#1,684
Driver's side 100%. I just like being able to go from driving down the road to deploying my tent and sleeping without having to touch the other side of the truck

Jay

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Color
Army Green
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Driver side so I don’t have to walk around my swing out

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Passenger side. We set up our earlier RTT setup and our current camper setup to be more accessible from the passenger side of the vehicle. I make it so the truck is laid out so that if any access of any gear, equipment, or whatever is needed it is primarily accessible from the passenger side just in case you have to access stuff on the side of the road. I want to be away from traffic, not closer to it. Obviously you may not flip your tent much on the side of the road, but I have. I've cleaned it out in front of my house, and I've camped on the side of the highway on Big Sur.

nickyreno

✓ • Aficionado
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Color
Magnetic Gray
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,704
Passenger side. We set up our earlier RTT setup and our current camper setup to be more accessible from the passenger side of the vehicle. I make it so the truck is laid out so that if any access of any gear, equipment, or whatever is needed it is primarily accessible from the passenger side just in case you have to access stuff on the side of the road. I want to be away from traffic, not closer to it. Obviously you may not flip your tent much on the side of the road, but I have. I've cleaned it out in front of my house, and I've camped on the side of the highway on Big Sur.

Smart

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member

StormRnr

✓ • Gold
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Mike
T3G Member
#6,287
I did Driver side. I have to walk around the truck about 9 times to set it up, but I wanted an awning on the passenger side so driver side made more sense for the tent opening.

-M

AZ_CAVALRY

✓ • Diamond
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cavalry Blue
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
I’ve actually had it on both sides. I have traction boards mounted on my bed rack on the drivers side, hilift on the passenger side. I ended up having to take the traction boards off every time just to open my tent. I was too lazy to switch everything on the rack, and eventually got an awning on the passenger side, so flipping it to that side just made more sense to me.

Sbr7

✓ • Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
Truck Year
Truck Color
Silver Sky
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#4,264
Driver's side. When I deploy the tent, I let the cover drape down and put up the annex room. The other side has my trasharoo.
When I get to a campsite, I like the idea of looking right out the driver's side door window as I envision fire pit location and then I can place the truck exactly where I want it as I anticipate where the ladder will drop.