• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

First Time Tacoma Owner

GizmoGorilla

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 Sport DCSB Manual
Midnight Black
(I may have accidentally cross posted, sorry if I did)

I know very little about Tacomas but I ended up buying a 2018 6 speed standard Sport, with a lift very recently. As it turns out the lift is causing vibration on the needle bearing and has me concerned, I want to get it fixed as soon as I can. I know this is a common problem with lifted Tacoma's and know that ECGS has a clamshell replacement for it that fixes the issue. I live in Kingston Ontario and I'm having a hard time finding someone to do the repair. What I want to do is buy the ECGS part, and give it to a mechanic to install. I can go to Kingston Toyota but only as a last resort. The mechanics I've spoken to aren't sure what I'm talking about, but there seems to be a common recommendation to take the truck to Mr Transmission to get it done. I spoke to Mr Transmission and they seemed to understand the situation, and are willing to do the repair. I've only had the truck about 6 weeks and I think the vibration has increased a little. So, maybe a couple questions;
Is Mr transmission a good choice to do this work?
Is there anyone that might know the Kingston area and recommend a mechanic?
What costs might I be looking at to do this work?
Does Toyota actually make a better part for this?
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. In the short time I've had the Taco I've really grown to like it so I want to get it fixed right
Many thanks in advance
[NjB]

Is Mr transmission a good choice to do this work?
Is there anyone that might know the Kingston area and recommend a mechanic?
What costs might I be looking at to do this work?
Does Toyota actually make a better part for this?
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. In the short time I've had the Taco I've really grown to like it so I want to get it fixed right
Many thanks in advance
Not familiar with your local shops. But any competent shop can do this. Even the dealership.
I know some dealerships have offered this and even warrantied it.
The bushing requires a specific tool. Dealership or a shop that's done it before will have it. Some can even fabricate one there.
I'm gonna guess anywhere between $200-$350 in labor. Should be closer to the lower end if it's just that.
Toyota does not make anything better. They have been using stupid needle bearings since whenever. They are used in all the SUV/Trucks.
ECGS is the way to go. Toyota should just make it a solid bushing, but they don't for some reason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Replacing the bearing is not going to fix your issue. It will just happen again. Are you 100% that is the issue? Might I assume you have a spacer lift?? is it more than 2"???

I know a reliable shop in Ottawa, if your ever cruising down the 401

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response,
I've already had it in to Toyota, they took it out on a test drive and confirmed that the vibration is from the lift, and that the vibration only occurs in 2WD. When switching to 4WD the vibration is gone. This behaviour is consistent with everything I've read about this issue, including numerous YT videos on the actual repair and end result. I have yet to come across this fix not working. No, certainly not 100% sure, but the odds look extremely favourable this solution works. If you're aware of any info to the contrary please direct me to it, as it will help me decide.

Yes, spacer lift and it looks at least 2"

Thanks. Cheers
[NjB]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Even if the bushing doesn't fix anything, I think it's good preventative maintenance to avoid long term problems. I'd also start with a carrier bearing drop if you don't have one. Check alignment and wheel balance as well.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response,
I've already had it in to Toyota, they took it out on a test drive and confirmed that the vibration is from the lift, and that the vibration only occurs in 2WD. When switching to 4WD the vibration is gone. If you're aware of any info to the contrary please direct me to it, as it will help me decide.

Yes, spacer lift and it looks at least 2"
In all honestly, I'd replace that spacer lift asap. Bilstein 5100 is a great value lift. And you can keep the stock coils.

Good luck [NjB]

Upvote 0
Thanks. Since the shop I'm taking it to does a lot of lift work I should be able to get input from them. In the mean time I'm not familiar with Bilstein so I'll have to do my research before I take it in.

Cheers
[NjB]

Upvote 0
In all honestly, I'd replace that spacer lift asap. Bilstein 5100 is a great value lift. And you can keep the stock coils.

Good luck [NjB]
Yep... looked up the history of Bilstein and their products. You're right, gonna have to go with the 5100's. Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

Cheers
[NjB]

Upvote 0
Yep... looked up the history of Bilstein and their products. You're right, gonna have to go with the 5100's. Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

Cheers
[NjB]

5100's if you have a tight budget.
6112/5160 if you can go a little higher.

Upvote 0
Back