• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Finally got a Taco | Camper, Roadtripper

In other news I added another layer of weatherstripping to the doors. I had it on decent authority from other bored, nitpicky Tacoma owners that it's a way to reduce wind noise that's cheaper and easier than Dynamat. Well, 50ft of foam later, I think it made a difference. I wish I could be more confident but it wasn't the dramatic reduction I was hoping for. I know it's there by needing to learn to close the doors harder now, but to be fair I didn't have a ton of noise before. I thought it was worth a try. You win some, you lose some.

What turned out great, though, is my tailgate panel. 1/4" marine ABS from TAP Plastics. I used the old one as a template of course, but I took about a half inch off the bottom. Where the stock tailgate panel and bed join is a pretty tight fit so it's best to just avoid trying to extend the bottom of the new one as far. Other than that I recommend drilling the holes oversized for two reasons. First, many of the holes in the stock panel aren't round and the center of those holes aren't necessarily where the screw nuts are in the tailgate itself. Second, it'll help prevent warping from temperature changes.

IMG_20211114_104734407.jpgIMG_20211114_115756517.jpgIMG_20211114_115824928.jpgIMG_20211114_104642824.jpgIMG_20211114_125006760.jpgIMG_20211114_142753458_HDR.jpgIMG_20211114_145345840.jpg

Don't mind me, I'm just going to blog for a bit...

I picked up a used Engel fridge last weekend. It's a 60L. I wasn't hard set on getting one from the beginning but after seeing how cheap solar is now I decided to give it a try. I have a decent AGM for an insect trap that I'm going to install as an auxiliary battery paired with a 100w panel and charge controller. Then use a solenoid wired to a dash switch to link the starting battery and aux batteries when needed. But I plan to rely on the solar controller to give the needed charging voltage long term.

Oh, and I decided to replace the rear seats with a cargo deck that I'll put this under, and mount the fridge on. Under the hood or in the bed are popular options, but I'm not completely confident in my ability to weatherproof the bed, if that's even truly possible. At least to the level that would make me not worry about all the wiring and big box of lead flavored electrical juice. Also, I want to make removal of the cap and future drawer/sleeping platform simple and not result in a bunch of my auxiliary systems exposed to the elements. As for the engine bay, I think I could build a rear deck for as much as some of the prefabbed battery mounts go for. Plus, I've seen a few posts about passenger front fender mounts giving out, which is where I would want to put it. So I'm playing it safe. And it gives me an excuse to do a bunch more DIY stuff. Just need to figure out how to mount a flexible panel on the roof...

All because I bought a fridge.

Anyway, I plumbed the rear diff breather up to the rear taillight. Totally excessive but I had the perfect length of hose so I just went for it. Anything is better than right on the housing! To be honest I just worry about stuff like that so I really did this for my peace of mind. I may never cross water that deep but it's cheap insurance.

IMG_20211127_165221639.jpg

Did you do a tune? I've read somewhere that Tacoma's stock charging system doesn't play well with AGM's?
You're quite right, the stock tuning has a lower alternator output voltage (~1 volt too low if I remember right). AGMs charged with a low voltage will be undercharged, but I'm hoping I can get away with it since I won't be using the alternator to provide bulk charging. The solar panel I ordered is coming with a charge controller that can handle an AGM, but for the instances of using my air compressor or my main battery is drained for some reason I can connect the two for more capacity temporarily. Otherwise the aux battery will only be powering new stuff I'm adding and will be charged with the panel. I've been reading about other people's systems and I think this will work, but I admit I'm figuring this stuff out as I go. Please let me know if there are flaws in my plan that I haven't accounted for!

IMG_20211231_161530171.jpgIMG_20211231_161524473.jpgIMG_20211231_161459350.jpg

Test fit of my platform for the rear. I still need to put a couple access hatches in, anchor it to steel, and make another CAD template for the back wall. I only had enough cardboard for one at a time. But I'm pleased so far even though it came out a little rougher than I wanted. Man, applying sound mat is serious labor. I'm really glad only one layer of 80 mil got me most of the way back to stock noise levels but I plan to do a little more.

IMG_20211224_150928110.jpgIMG_20220101_091110038.jpgIMG_20220101_091102570.jpg

I've also made great progress in my war on plastichrome. I replaced these because they can reflect sunlight way too easily. I went with AJT since they have the look I want, and also in stock. There are only a few pieces of chrome left in the cab but they don't bother me.

I finished replacing the gear oil and installed a K&N intake filter today. I might also chop my exhaust depending on how frisky I'm feeling. Now to work on my cargo platform!

Finally chopped the exhaust. Man, that was a pain. I'm really glad those rubber hangers hold the exhaust so well except for when I'm trying to get it off. I tried to get the tip from the old section but that thing didn't move more than a few millimeters.

IMG_20220116_124411613_HDR.jpgIMG_20220116_131615202.jpg

Then I got the final coats of Void Black on the platform! I'm really happy with that! So close to installing it, then mock up the back wall.

IMG_20220117_142843805.jpg

Finally, I put together a log book to keep track of maintenance and modifications.

IMG_20220114_185918671 (1).jpg

OH! And I'm rocking some 3D printed parts from @bonifacio

IMG_20220107_125413181.jpgIMG_20220107_125506633.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20220122_103733203.jpg
IMG_20220122_135818075.jpg

Well, there it is, folks! I got the last seatbelts out and installed my platform. I improvised the whole design, I see flaws everywhere, and I couldn't be happier. Now that it's in I can CAD a back wall (hence the threaded rod).

I don't have pictures of this, but I put a bunch of decoy OBD ports under the dash. As part of what I'm just now dubbing Operation Pharaoh, I'm trying to make my truck harder to steal. Well, I'm putting some stumbling blocks for the methods I know of, at least. To make ECU reprogramming harder I'm making the only functional OBD port hidden while also scattering decoys everywhere. The stock port under the dash is a blank plug and I ran an extension from the real one to a new location. Then a cheap ebay OBD splitter that's not even connected to anything is routed through the dash to random places. I also leave my secondary fob off and turn my main one off at night. To take it further, I'm looking into the best way to wire a pair of kill switches into a vital system. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather come out to a truck with a broken door handle and a slashed interior than no truck at all.

Of course if they bring a tow truck there's nothing I can do.

I've also made great progress in my war on plastichrome. I replaced these because they can reflect sunlight way too easily. I went with AJT since they have the look I want, and also in stock. There are only a few pieces of chrome left in the cab but they don't bother me.
I like that as well, what's AJT? Got a link?

Also, I'd like to know more about your air horn setup.

And have you found a solution for debadging the tailgate? I'f been puzzling over the right way to do that for years.

I'm trying to make my truck harder to steal.

Manual transmission :)

I like that as well, what's AJT? Got a link?
All right here. Lots of options and I prefer the aesthetics over Meso. Plus, Meso triggers my hipster tendencies since it's such a popular brand.

Also, I'd like to know more about your air horn setup.
Damn, I don't actually have one yet. I got the button in preparation and just left it in after test fitting. Since I'm adding onboard air with a tank I figured I might as well install an air horn, too. I mean, just look at all the space in front of the radiator, right? I'm planning to get something for a big rig. A classic deep tone is what I'm after. I wonder if I could splice the relay into the stock horn...

And have you found a solution for debadging the tailgate? I'f been puzzling over the right way to do that for years.
Do you mean the TACOMA or the V6 and such? Because the TACOMA is what I put on. I really don't like how the stamped letters look empty, but I also didn't want to add color. The stock badges came off with fishing line, goo-gone, and far more elbow grease than I was hoping it would take. But I prefer it debadged, though it's mostly the chrome I prefer off. Now that I think about it, I think debadging the TACOMA would be a real pain since all the adhesive is inside recessed letters. Well, that's a problem for future me, I guess!

Manual transmission :)
Although this truck is an automatic, it's replacing a manual 2003 Mazda Protege... Zoom zoom. I mostly agree that having a manual means fewer people will know how to drive it, but I wanted the features that only the auto has. MTS, crawl control, not having to worry so much about controlling the transmission while off pavement. I really enjoy driving a MT car, but I also really don't want to do it while trying to make my way through the woods. Just my preference, but props to you for having the MT!

Side note. My plan B career is long-haul trucker so I do daydream about driving a manual truck, just not a Tacoma

Meso triggers my hipster tendencies since it's such a popular brand.

I tooooooooooootally get this. Tacomabeast, Cali Raised, Baja Designs, Rotopax, Ram Mounts, Bridgestone KO2s and a few other are all on my "yeah, nah" list for that reason.

A classic deep tone is what I'm after. I wonder if I could splice the relay into the stock horn...

Yeah, the horns on these trucks are just not loud enough and most aftermarket electric horns are super high pitch. I'm still looking for a solution for this.

I really don't like how the stamped letters look empty, but I also didn't want to add color.

See, I just don't like the stamped letters at all. I was thinking maybe a semi-rigid wrap might work. I'd just rivet on dimond plating but having a Jeep with that I know it just collects dirt back behind it and is not a good idea in the long term. Bondo is an option but what a PITA to get it looking original.

Although this truck is an automatic, it's replacing a manual 2003 Mazda Protege... Zoom zoom.

Are you me? My Taco ALSO replaces a 2002 Mazda Protege5

Side note. My plan B career is long-haul trucker so I do daydream about driving a manual truck, just not a Tacoma

Better get on that before the self-driving trucks take that job over. American Pro Truck Driver scratches that itch for me but I also go 90+ in game most of the time so that is probably indication I shouldn't get my CDL.

I tooooooooooootally get this. Tacomabeast, Cali Raised, Baja Designs, Rotopax, Ram Mounts, Bridgestone KO2s and a few other are all on my "yeah, nah" list for that reason.
In the case of TacomaBeast, he participated in some group vandalism at Moab a few years back, which is a lifetime ban from my wallet.

See, I just don't like the stamped letters at all. I was thinking maybe a semi-rigid wrap might work. I'd just rivet on dimond plating but having a Jeep with that I know it just collects dirt back behind it and is not a good idea in the long term. Bondo is an option but what a PITA to get it looking original.
I actually agree with you, I prefer it completely blank. I really like debadged second gen tailgates. So damn clean! But they came with a ridiculous amount of chrome from the factory. I wish the best of both worlds was easier to have instead of the model of my truck stamped into the tailgate in 190 point font in all caps. But it could be worse, just look at the Ford Ranger.

Are you me? My Taco ALSO replaces a 2002 Mazda Protege5
No way! That's funny. Fun and cheap to drive but I won't miss that little engine. Mine spent time in the rust belt so it's not doing so great. It's basically become a pay-it-forward car since it's been passed from one driver in need to the next. Although it's currently in limbo as I lost my only key to it. Long story.

Better get on that before the self-driving trucks take that job over. American Pro Truck Driver scratches that itch for me but I also go 90+ in game most of the time so that is probably indication I shouldn't get my CDL.
I get my fix in Snowrunner and a similar caveat applies.

Nice! For the switch panel, you can sand it smooth and hit it with some spray paint. :)
Yeah, I haven't refined the print at all but I'll get to it at some point. I'm waiting for my other plans for the dash to fall into place before tidying up. And I'll be honest, aesthetics are usually the last priority for me.

I installed some basic cotton Coverkings I bought from another member. They fit pretty well and I'm glad to have some protection on the remaining upholstery.

IMG_20220123_145347378.jpg

TGIMFF.

Agenda for this weekend (plus a few days off):
- Relocate rear window switch (I'll explain later)
- Install anytime backup/front camera
- Mount air tank
- Fab the back cargo wall
- Install 400W anytime/extra outlet harness
- Drive into the mountains to get the hell out of town for a bit
- ???

I recently installed the 400W anytime harness + in-cab outlet. I put it next to the bottle jack. I'm planning to run my fridge off it when driving since it can switch between an AC and DC source automatically. Plus, I might get an electric chainsaw in the future so I should be able to charge it there, too.

IMG_20220209_105156821.jpg

Other than that I've not done much. I still need to get the air and aux battery sorted before camping season really kicks off.

Just a quick picture dump. Guts of the inverter wiring and back wall installed.

IMG_20220131_170649786.jpg
IMG_20220131_122931386.jpg

First thoughts on the deck: I was expecting the tiedown points to rattle but it turns out the doors are the only noisy ones.

I decided to do some more CAD for the windows I'll be installing in the shell. Tomorrow I'll get to cutting holes and framing them in. I'm planning to put eight in this thing so it'll be a lot of work, but I'll have the Hilton on four wheels when I'm done.

IMG_20220312_132424578_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220312_132407582_HDR.jpg

Back