• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Performance Exhaust Recommendations

Huck89

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
I need some recommendations for a solid exhaust. I’m running the URD Power Extractor Pipes & Mark 2 Y Pipe W/ MBRP muffler. I don’t know if it’s the muffler or the setup itself or what but it sounds hella raspy, like a pissed off weed wacker. Does anyone have any experience with any of these products or have any recommendations?

That's gonna be from the whole package. MBRP itself is excessively loud.. then you remove the cats (which act as mufflers of sorts) which is where the rasp comes from and the MBRP just magnifies the whole sound. Either need to add additional resonators to the setup to remove the rasp or try quieting down with a better built exhaust. I generally opt for high flow cats for this exact reason. I cannot stand any rasp in my exhaust. A few extra hp are not worth the noise to me.

That said I really like my Magnaflow Overland Series. It's high clearance with no muffler tip to get hung up on obstacles, has an exit after the rear axle to reduce drone, and offers 3 sound-level options with a straight-thru muffler design. Really cool tech. Before I deadened the truck the loudest option was still pretty quiet. Since deadening (which eliminated most of the tire and external noise), I have changed to the medium quiet for highway drone as it's all that I can really hear now and it's a little too quiet. Super happy with this exhaust overall though. Can't go wrong with MF on almost any platform. Should be perfect volume for when I change out the Y-pipes.

That's gonna be from the whole package. MBRP itself is excessively loud.. then you remove the cats (which act as mufflers of sorts) which is where the rasp comes from and the MBRP just magnifies the whole sound. Either need to add additional resonators to the setup to remove the rasp or try quieting down with a better built exhaust. I generally opt for high flow cats for this exact reason. I cannot stand any rasp in my exhaust. A few extra hp are not worth the noise to me.

That said I really like my Magnaflow Overland Series. It's high clearance with no muffler tip to get hung up on obstacles, has an exit after the rear axle to reduce drone, and offers 3 sound-level options with a straight-thru muffler design. Really cool tech. Before I deadened the truck the loudest option was still pretty quiet. Since deadening (which eliminated most of the tire and external noise), I have changed to the medium quiet for highway drone as it's all that I can really hear now and it's a little too quiet. Super happy with this exhaust overall though. Can't go wrong with MF on almost any platform. Should be perfect volume for when I change out the Y-pipes.

Yeaj I can’t stand it currently. I was thinking maybe a Borla or Magnaflow might be able to help a little. It is a little loud, which I can deal with, but if it’s going to be loud it at least needs to sound good you know. So if I can just find a muffler with some deep tone to it and maybe add the resonators like you mentioned. But as of right now, as it stands, I’d say don’t go with the URD Mark 2 Y Pipe and Power Extractor Pipes…at least not with a MBRP exhaust; maybe another exhaust will complete the set better like the AFE.

I heard the trd pro exhaust for the first time the other day. It sounded more aggressive than I was expecting..

I keep coming back to the flowmaster flowfx. It’s rear exit and middle of the road for volume, like a bump up from the pro but a bit fuller.

I heard the trd pro exhaust for the first time the other day. It sounded more aggressive than I was expecting..

I keep coming back to the flowmaster flowfx. It’s rear exit and middle of the road for volume, like a bump up from the pro but a bit fuller.
I haven’t had the opportunity to hear them in person unfortunately so I’m trying to base everything off of YouTube clips. At this point I think I might have to do what @drizzoh said and go with a resonator because it’s obnoxiously loud.

If you do add resonators, Vibrant is probably the best and they come in a ton of different sizes. Fit the longest ones you can before the muffler.

Update!! I’ve purchased the URD Spec-U exhaust system. I’m hoping this takes care of the rasp and drone of the current Mark 2 Y pipe. More updates to follow…

Update!! I’ve purchased the URD Spec-U exhaust system. I’m hoping this takes care of the rasp and drone of the current Mark 2 Y pipe. More updates to follow…
That should be lightyears nicer to drive with than the MBRP, but most of the unpleasant noise is generated by the manifolds you swapped out. There's still no resonators in the URD exhaust setup but the muffler design is much better and should cut down drone to about half of the current setup. You still might want to add resonators to that, but the larger muffler should help tremendously. I think they spec that kit with a Magnaflow muffler so it should be nice.

Back