• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Essential Camping Equipment

Humble_Station12

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 DCSB
Blazing Blue Pearl
Hey Taco Family!

So I am still suppppppper new to the offroad/overland scene and wanted to know what is considered must have equipment as I begin to go camping. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

A tent, obviously. lol

gas stove, cooler(s), cook wear, something to start fires, axe/hatchet, two 5 gallon water jugs to clean cook wear and hands, trash bags and a basic med kit with your choice of pain relievers.

I said 2 jugs because it's something my dad has always done, ones mixed with dish soap and the other is just water to rinse with and to drink from if need be.

Last edited:
Storage! Storage is your friend. You will accumulate a ton of camping stuff as you figure out what fits and doesn't fit your needs. I'm a simple man, I really like the Plano Sportsmans Trunks. They're cheap, light, come in an assortment of sizes, and stack well. There are better options out there, but I have a hard time justifying the (much) higher cost for something that will perform only marginally better. Hope this helps and welcome to the madness!!??

Storage! Storage is your friend. You will accumulate a ton of camping stuff as you figure out what fits and doesn't fit your needs.

Man, ain't that the truth. My dad has 5 or 6, 50 gallon totes full off things he's used since camping as a kid. Glad he took my camping my whole life and was able to narrow it down when I start going out on my own.

Another must have, fire retardant gloves.

A tent, obviously. lol

gas stove, cooler(s), cook wear, something to start fires, axe/hatchet, two 5 gallon water jugs to clean cook wear and hands, trash bags and a basic med kit with your choice of pain relievers.

I said 2 jugs because it's something my dad has always done, ones mixed with dish soap and the other is just water to rinse with and to drink from if need be.

Sweet thank you for giving me a starting spot! Do you recommend certain brands or specific products?

You said coolers twice ;)?
Hahaha yeah I did. The only reason I said something about the water jugs because someone was reading over my shoulder and asked why 2. So I figured I'd explain my reason

Last edited:
Hahaha yeah I did. The only reason I said something about the water jugs because someone was reading over my shoulder and asked why 2. So I figured I'd explain my reason

I was jokingly referring to the fact that med kit with pain meds could also be a cooler. ??

Hey Taco Family!

So I am still suppppppper new to the offroad/overland scene and wanted to know what is considered must have equipment as I begin to go camping. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
This is a good question :)

An EZ-up awning, it’s the first thing out when setting up camp. The awning Is used more than the tent or chairs.
The awning is important in sunny weather or as protection from bad weather.
After using it a bit it will loosen up and can easily be set up or stowed by one person.

Back