• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Entune/CarPlay Entune to CarPlay stereo swap

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I want to get rid of the crappy Entune in my 2017 and replace it with a CarPlay stereo. It seems like wireless CarPlay isn't really the standard yet but I found a few. I'm not really interested in spending a lot for the premium brands because I don't see the point as I'm not an enthusiast.

I found this one that sounds good to me:

Is there any reasons to not get a cheaper one like this? You will lose the Entune GPS though, correct? Do these need any fitment adapters to fit properly? Does anyone know if the Anytime Backup Camera (front/rear) would still work?

Anything else I should know?

You'd need a module to keep the steering wheel controls, right? And what about the Tacoma settings built into Entune? If you can't access them on the new stereo, will the truck still retain your settings from before the swap?

I did a headunit swap in a friends JK a few months back with that Maestro unit. It was awesome to use. You can set button controls through the set up process on the Maestro when you flash the unit. So steering wheel controls should work. I installed an Alpine in their JK, it was able to display door open indicators, tire pressures and few other jeep specific things. All in all, took me around 5 hours to install. I spent most of my time trying to stuff 10lbs of wiring in a 1lb sack, but that's #jeeplife

Jensen's are decent, but you may get more features with a Pioneer or Alpine. Meaning more vehicle specific things. But that's what the Maestro unit is for.

EDIT: you'll need a windows computer to flash the Maestro unit. I also recall seeing multiple camera settings on their Alpine.

Last edited:
I did a headunit swap in a friends JK a few months back with that Maestro unit. It was awesome to use. You can set button controls through the set up process on the Maestro when you flash the unit. So steering wheel controls should work. I installed an Alpine in their JK, it was able to display door open indicators, tire pressures and few other jeep specific things. All in all, took me around 5 hours to install. I spent most of my time trying to stuff 10lbs of wiring in a 1lb sack, but that's #jeeplife

Jensen's are decent, but you may get more features with a Pioneer or Alpine. Meaning more vehicle specific things. But that's what the Maestro unit is for.

EDIT: you'll need a windows computer to flash the Maestro unit. I also recall seeing multiple camera settings on their Alpine.
Great info, thanks. That makes me wonder if some of them are designed to be “extra” compatible with Toyota, for example.

Great info, thanks. That makes me wonder if some of them are designed to be “extra” compatible with Toyota, for example.
I mean there's always the halo9, it's made for the Tacoma. But I'm not wasting that much money on a radio.

The maestro is nice because of the ability to set steering wheel controls. I've seen (as well as myself) hate how toyota did the volume - track buttons in the 3g. In every other car they are normal, up/down is volume, left/right is track. Maestro allows you to change that.

The maestro is nice because of the ability to set steering wheel controls. I've seen (as well as myself) hate how toyota did the volume - track buttons in the 3g. In every other car they are normal, up/down is volume, left/right is track. Maestro allows you to change that.
That’s cool. I’ll def use the Maestro.

I have one of these. It's a PX6. Messy harness, but easy to set up.
No modules needed and includes everything. This is a better route than Jensen IMO.
It does include a built in software equalizer that works fine for non-JBL head units.
Equalizer works with my JBL head unit, but the subwoofer one doesn't function.
GPS antenna just requires a $15 adapter. It includes one you can mount, but I chose to retain the factory one.
Anytime Camera included. Front and rear if you install a front camera.
Plug n Play for the USB slots on your lower panel. Supposedly has built in CarPlay. Don't use that stuff, so haven't use it.
Worst case I think it's a $15-$20 dongle.
I can find you the link.
I hotspot it off my phone and just use Waze.

Full integration for factory settings. Steering wheel controls work. Just need to program it. Easy setup. There is a "bible" with all the mods and links to the working apps. I scored mine for $320-$350 or whatever. There is a new one coming out. I think it's the T10.

There is also an adapter available that will also keep the factory microphone. Currently there is a microphone on the front of the unit.

Let me know if you have questions. I'd be happy to help. There is a Facebook group just for this head unit with pretty good support. There's even a coupon code if you order in the group.

Already at $500 for the Jensen + Maestro. The Android ones are such a better option.

Last edited:

I have one of these. It's a PX6. Messy harness, but easy to set up.
No modules needed and includes everything. This is a better route than Jensen IMO.
It does include a built in software equalizer that works fine for non-JBL head units.
Equalizer works with my JBL head unit, but the subwoofer one doesn't function.
GPS antenna just requires a $15 adapter. It includes one you can mount, but I chose to retain the factory one.
Anytime Camera included. Front and rear if you install a front camera.
Plug n Play for the USB slots on your lower panel. Supposedly has built in CarPlay. Don't use that stuff, so haven't use it.
Worst case I think it's a $15-$20 dongle.
I can find you the link.
I hotspot it off my phone and just use Waze.

Full integration for factory settings. Steering wheel controls work. Just need to program it. Easy setup. There is a "bible" with all the mods and links to the working apps. I scored mine for $320-$350 or whatever. There is a new one coming out. I think it's the T10.

There is also an adapter available that will also keep the factory microphone. Currently there is a microphone on the front of the unit.

Let me know if you have questions. I'd be happy to help. There is a Facebook group just for this head unit with pretty good support. There's even a coupon code if you order in the group.

Already at $500 for the Jensen + Maestro. The Android ones are such a better option.
But if it’s Android it wouldn’t have CarPlay, right?

But if it’s Android it wouldn’t have CarPlay, right?

It has it built in. Included in the current one.

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JVxpMjzJOc

Operating SystemAndroid 10
CPUT9 Quad/Octa Core
RAM4GB
ROM64GB
Resolution1024*600 Pixels
BluetoothSupport hands-free phone call and Bluetooth music
MicrophoneBuilt-in Microphone in the control panel
Working Voltage10V-14V
Working Temperature-40℃-80℃
Audio Power Output4X45W
USB/SD slot maximum compatibilitySupports USB flash drive and Micro SD card with up to 64GB of storage
HDDSupport external hard drive with up to 500GB storage
APPSupport most Android apps
Password for Setting7890 or 123456
OSD LanguageSupport 50+ kinds of languages, including English/divish/French/German/Portuguese/Italian/Russian/Turkish/Hebrew/Polish, etc.
Touch Screen TypeCapacitive touch screen
Brightness AdjustmentSupport
FMSupport
Subwoofer OutputSupport
Video outNot Support
Video inSupport
DVRSupport
OBD2Support
WiFiBuilt-in WiFi Dongle
Amp In/outSupport
GPSBetter GPS triangulation when no service
SWCSupport factory steering wheel control
Reverse CameraSupport,Instant rear view camera 0-1000ms
ConnectBuilt in CarPlay with apple phone
iPhone ZlinkConnect iPhone to head unit by Bluetooth or USB cable, support voice commands to make phone calls, use maps, listen to music, read or send messages
Android autoRecommend you choose wired carplay
Zlink AppIf you have lost the ZLINK app after restoring the factory settings, please download again. Download Zlink App

Last edited:
Ah, I see. Thanks for the video too. It’s crazy how much better these things are than the Entune crap.

Back