• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Engine Swap

Huck89

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death so I apologize for adding another one. And since it has been over communicated please don’t harass me just be nice and helpful or refrain from posting. This group is much better about that than other so thank you gents!!

However, I’m close to pulling the trigger on an engine swap and can’t decide what to go with. I will actually be doing a double engine swap, since the Tacoma motors are so reliable and I only have 33,000 miles on mine. I don’t want to get rid of it. So I will be putting this motor into another vehicle to continue as my daily driver, and then putting something else into the taco. I’ve seen a lot of people go with the LS motors, but I was thinking how cool would it be to put a hellcat in the Tacoma. I know this is a crazy project and 90% of people would vote against it but I think it would be awesome. What do you guys think? LS or hellcat?

First I want to know what you do for work if you're going through with this stuff.
What are your goals? Just want a fast Tacoma? Just want it to be unique?
I'd imagine the Hellcat route you'd have to do a lot of fabrication just to get it physically in there. Depending on the size might have to cut back the firewall. I know they make LS1 mount kits. So it would be a little easier to just cut and weld it in there.
If you have the resources to pull it off, go for it. But also be prepared for the headaches involved.
There's a local guy that threw one of the Tundra engines into a Tacoma.
Look up Tacundra on YouTube. You can kind of get an idea for what you might go through since he logs it all.

First I want to know what you do for work if you're going through with this stuff.
What are your goals? Just want a fast Tacoma? Just want it to be unique?
I'd imagine the Hellcat route you'd have to do a lot of fabrication just to get it physically in there. Depending on the size might have to cut back the firewall. I know they make LS1 mount kits. So it would be a little easier to just cut and weld it in there.
If you have the resources to pull it off, go for it. But also be prepared for the headaches involved.
There's a local guy that threw one of the Tundra engines into a Tacoma.
Look up Tacundra on YouTube. You can kind of get an idea for what you might go through since he logs it all.
Goal is to throw either throw a long travel or TTB front and link/back half the rear, then drop a swap in, and basically turn the Taco into a play toy essentially (been watching too much Terra Crew on YouTube haha)! I’ve watched and read countless hours of swaps and different type of suspensions like TTB, back half’s, links, long travel and just seeing how some of the project come together is just so damn cool. Obviously it comes with a shit Tom of headache, and often can turn into a multi year project. But seeing the aftermath of all that hard work seems worth it (we’ll maybe to a select few crazy people) lol.

Back