• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Engine replacement, looking for help hydro vs vacuum booster engines?

thedirtTaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey all I am replacing the engine in my 2018 Tacoma, long story short, last owner ran it out of oil now it’s toast.

While searching to buy a new engine I have seen two different types . Those for “Hydro booster” and those for “Vacuum booster” .

The only difference I’ve found is that one works for a trac ( hydro ) and the other is for non ATRAC models( vacuum)

My truck is a TRD sport and has the Vacuum booster on it. I’m asking to see if anyone has replaced the motor and if they’re interchangeable. The salvage yards tell me I’m going to need to change a sensor, And another tells me a camshaft and sensor.

The reason I am trying to go for the hydro model is that there’s a lot of them closer to me in my area, and cheaper.

Link to what I’ve found so far —Ok which 3rd gen models have this? (https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ok-which-3rd-gen-models-have-this.501563/)

Thanks!

Personally if I were in your position I’d ask the dealer what they’d put in it since the previous one was vacuum and they’ll probably be able to tell you exactly? Id think anyhow?

Upvote 0
Hey man, your videos popped up ina recent thread. Hope to get you some information. Tyler and Tacomadad are our resident tear-apart-vehicle experts.

Upvote 0
Back