• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Emergency Brake Seized

bluetaco88

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Cavalry Blue
Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem in their 3rd gen. I know its an issue in older models, but this is a 2019 with less than 6k on it...

Today when i was leaving, or should i say planning on leaving, for work i disengaged the e-brake (6spd), popped the truck in 1st and just about stalled when the truck wouldn't budge an inch.
The truck has been sitting in the driveway for about 6 days and the e-brake seizing is the first thing that came to mind. So i engaged the e-brake and put the truck in reverse releasing the e-brake slowly hoping it would let go...no luck. Tried the same in 4LO, forget it... Tried this several times forward/reverse...got nowhere.

Luckily i had my beater to get to work in, so today after work i'm going to lift the rear end and try to release the e-brake but wanted to know if anyone has experienced this and if they have tips/tricks on releasing the brake and preventing this from happening in the future.

I believe our manual does mention the e-brake can potentially seize up during freezing temps and not to use it? correct me if i'm wrong, but it's been nowhere near freezing here yet. Its been raining and in the 40's-60's.

I've heard the same about cold temps and wetness. Try getting some sort of heat back there but I would think at 60s it would have defrosted.

Upvote 0
I've been having this issue. It breaks free, but it's been sticking in the morning, and it's happened on the trail a few times. Is there something I can lubricate?

-M

Upvote 0
Known issue. If it's happened where you live just don't set the parking brake. By the way, vehicle manufacturers quit calling them emergnecy brakes decades ago for liability reasons.

Upvote 0
Known issue. If it's happened where you live just don't set the parking brake. By the way, vehicle manufacturers quit calling them emergnecy brakes decades ago for liability reasons.
Is there a fix?

-M

Upvote 0
I've had that happen a few times. Not cold weather related for me. It let go after a couple moves back and forth. I checked brakes later and didn't see anything. Rinsed the dust out just in case.

Upvote 0
I've been having this issue. It breaks free, but it's been sticking in the morning, and it's happened on the trail a few times. Is there something I can lubricate?

-M
Have you had the rear drums / brakes worked on since 2017?
At 5 years I would have new shoes installed and check / replace the drums,
While you or they are doing it clean and put anti-seize on the pivot joints and get rid of the issue before its a major problem and need it towed.

I have a manual and use my parking brake ALOT,
I use it when parking on inclines and when I get out to do stuff when the truck is running in neutral.
The more I use it the more it stays free from seizing from sitting in the same spot on the pivot joints
Moving parts are a wearable item,.. just like the pistons,.... let them sit seated too long and they can seize.
Pistons use oil, pivots use a "lube". the lube can become dried over time from exposure to dust and the elements.
Pistons and such are in a sealed environment,

Upvote 0
Back