• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Maintenance ECT Power Button

SilverBullet3g

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
So I usually will run the ECT power button while driving highways so that my truck is not as sluggish.
It gives it a better throttle response but slightly less mpg.
Keep in mind that I have a 6” with 35s.
Now I have a maintenance light on and I had it read and it says that it is something with the power train.
Does anyone know if having the ECT power button on can mess up anything to do with the power train?
It is also making some sort of rattling noise as I accelerate around 30mph from maybe 2nd-3rd gear that almost sounds like a lifter or something but sounds like it is coming from right under the drivers seat.
I figured if it was a lifter it would do that noise all the way to 100mph. And even when revving the truck up in park.
A Tacoma salesman told me a few months ago that running the ECT power button wouldn’t mess anything up but idk. I mean I’ve been running it on and off for the 3 years I’ve had the truck. And I don’t rag it out. It’s seen mud literally once and I don’t really have a heavy foot.
I try to drive for better gas mileage but that’s hard with my lift and tires.
Anything helps, as I am at 75k miles and the power train warranty went out at 60k.

If running the ect 24/7 could harm the vehicle, they wouldn’t allow you to run the ect 24/7

Upvote 0
So what could this powertrain problem be coming from? The lift and tires putting too much of a load on the truck?

Upvote 0
So what could this powertrain problem be coming from? The lift and tires putting too much of a load on the truck?
Could be a possibility with more rotational mass. Shift points and final drive ratio being affected.
Could also expedite brake wear.

Upvote 0
Back