• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

E85/ 88 unleaded.

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
Article posted show many gas stations offering the e85 or 88 unleaded gas for a much lower prices then the 87 octane.

The story mentions most vehicles 2016 and up can use e85 / 88 unleaded gas. (Recommended not for a long time).

Also a approx lost of 5% mpg’s .

It Was on my Google news, looks like east coast gas stations. Search google 88 unleaded gas being sold .?
I read the Google news every day. Articles changes quickly too.
Hope you can find what you are looking for.

E85 is 85% ethanol. The “88” octane that they sell at Sheetz is 15% ethanol which is how it gets the higher octane.

Most cars after a certain year (I forget the cutoff) can run safely on E15. You will do damage a non-flex fuel car with E85. Both the engine and fuel system.

E85 will not damage a stock fuel system. I'm running E85 in a car from the 90s with nearly 100% factory fuel system, aside from a fuel pump upgrade and new injectors. Both of which work and are made for standard unleaded fuels.

Pump E85 is manufactured and has additives for lubricity to ensure it doesn't dry anything out, but you can also use additives to improve upon this. Even without the additives it would take a very long time for anything substantial, if anything at all, to happen to the vehicle. Worst case scenario is some dried out o-rings or gaskets.

It's a myth that E85 damages anything. However, the truck definitely will not run if you fill up with E85 as the fuel system can not compensate for the additional necessary fuel flow that E85 needs to make power. E85 makes roughly 30% less power at the same flow rate for standard unleaded fuels so requires 30% more flow (bigger fuel injectors and pump) to make that power.

The benefits are that you can ramp up engine timing very aggressively and pump more fuel as E85 has a much higher knock resistance (takes more heat to detonate prematurely). This is especially good with boosted engines or very high compression.

I love corn gas. Haha!

When the ethanol fuel first came out 87 ethanol, many boaters had there motor engines destroy. Especially those with fiber glass gas tanks ( ethanol melts fiberglass tank). One boater over $50,000 to replace the engines.
Ethanol fuel is Not recommended to use in plastic gas cans.
Ethanol absorbs dirt more easily. and moisture. Todays cars/trucks have a seal gas tank. - no moisture.
Ethanol NOT recommended pre -1994 cars.

My 2019 Toyota manual- DO NOT USE E-30 , E50 , & E85 !
Toyota recommends 87 or higher octane.
Note: Higher octane has very little benefits Toyota engines are not a high compression motor. Will cost you more.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you can use is on the gas cap.

Thank you
0BF77F5A-E5D6-443E-955F-19A253B27B3C.jpeg

Article posted show many gas stations offering the e85 or 88 unleaded gas for a much lower prices then the 87 octane.

The story mentions most vehicles 2016 and up can use e85 / 88 unleaded gas. (Recommended not for a long time).

Also a approx lost of 5% mpg’s .
Refers to vehicles flex-fuel and dual fuel vehicles. They are designed to run e85 from factory.
There are a lot of vehicles made specifically to be capable of this.

Mileage loss comes from e85 burning and detonating faster which results in more P-P-P-POWAAA. To keep up with that, it will need larger injectors, maybe new lines, pump, and management. Engine Management to tell the ECU what the engine is fueled by and adjust for the increase. Piggyback or complete replacement. Not for factory Tacomas.

Note: Higher octane has very little benefits Toyota engines are not a high compression motor. Will cost you more.

This will depend on application. Amount of benefits will depend on the driver.
e85 will give a power increase. Some people might just like to be a little quicker. In the long run I feel e85 would help the longevity of the vehicle. It runs cooler and cleaner.
e85 really shines with forced induction. Supercharger/Turbocharger guys. With it being cooler and more stable. Increased consistency.

It does burn faster which decreased mileage per tank. Some areas it's harder to find. So having the ability switch between both easily is convenient.

This could even go further by making people feel like they are benefiting the world by lowering their carbon footprint.

There's pros and cons. Comes down to what's important to the owner.

There are piggyback plug-ins that claim to convert your vehicle to be compatible with e85. Not for all vehicles, but I'm guessing some were just built with larger than necessary injectors, which are large enough to satisfy running e85.

E-85 or flex fuel does not benefit us. Not very efficient, less mileage.
They say better for environment, No real numbers comparison . 15% corn 85% is still oil burn.

The States that produces the corn oil for gas are the real winners. More energy is required, that is a environmental cost alone. Before it reaches your car. To ship it out those vehicles burns fuel too.

Corn fuel may burn cleaner! But at what cost? Corn producers makes more money on corn fuel , then animal feed. You cost for beef will raise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back