• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Drum Brakes - Worst decision Toyota made?

New Holland Overland

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.newhollandoverland.com
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Lets talk drums...

In the 80K miles/3.5 years ive had my truck...ive had 2 wheel brake cylinders blow out on me. Once when I was traveling 60mph+ on an icy/wintery road, and another one this past weekend at the local starbucks (ironic I know). The first time I blew out my brakes the dealership took care of the truck under warranty (around 50K miles). This time around I decided to do the brake job myself, what I found was interesting.

Upon opening the drum system that blew up (see photos below), I found the main shoe spring completely missing...its not like theres room in the drum system for this to simply "fall out", so I have no idea if it fell off and wore down or if it was never installed in the first place. This caused the shoe to float around, wear unevenly and completely through the pad into the steel part of the shoe, and eventually having a complete failure ejecting the piston from the brake cylinder. I replaced everything both sides with new drums, shoes, cylinders, etc. And the dealership is paying me 50% of the parts since they feel bad it happened again.

IMG-0346.jpg
IMG-0347.jpg

IMG-0351.jpg
IMG-0350.jpg

Have any of you had issues with the drum brakes on your truck? Im now of the opinion that these style of brakes are trash on these trucks. Almost every other modern truck has disc brakes, and my understanding from research was the reason toyota went with drums was for cost savings (not off-road performance). Next time around itll be a rear disc conversion for me since so far my track record of drum brakes hasnt been good.

What are your guys thouhts?

I think it’s the most irritating thing this is one of the only vehicles on the road today still running drum brakes.

I’ve had problems with my drums on two different 3rd gens. Even when my trucks were under warranty, Toyota wanted to much coin to even investigate the cause of the squeal so I just frequently would have to spray them down with clean.

A few months back the squeal was awful on the one I have now with around 24k miles on the truck. Went to take the drum off and found a piece of the cylinder that guides the pad floating around and my cylinder looked just like yours with a piston protruding and leaking oil. I had a LesS around the corner from me replace everything and re-bleed for around the same cost Toyota wanted to investigate any issues and had my truck back same day. Now I’m around 25k and they’re squealing again.

Has anyone done this conversion?

I’m packing a lot of weight, and it’s not even fully loaded.

C32BADB4-D533-4463-9377-9EF4F0DE1548.jpeg
im almost a full 500lb's heavier than you :p

The rear brakes arent gonna help us in terms of stopping being heavier trucks since the fronts do majority of the braking power, we both need the big brake kits up front. I want to swap to discs in the rear because I dont find the drum's to be reliable anymore

Honestly, for those of us with ATRAC, it might be easier to wait and retrofit the rear disc brakes off 4G Tacoma

im almost a full 500lb's heavier than you :p

The rear brakes arent gonna help us in terms of stopping being heavier trucks since the fronts do majority of the braking power, we both need the big brake kits up front. I want to swap to discs in the rear because I dont find the drum's to be reliable anymore

Good point.

Back