• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Door speakers

M3rcury17

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
So, does anyone know if I can just slap in some 450w pioneer speakers in place of the factory door speakers without an amp? The box says they fit the door on the tacoma but it doesn't really specify if I need to add external power or not, not that I can see at least. They're the Pioneer TS900M, 450w peak but only 90w rms.

Quick question. Are you trying to get sound out of the near-silent rear door speakers? Or just better sound by replacing already working speakers? I ask only because the rears barely work as a result of not being amped, if I remember right.

Apologies, I'm not going to be much help beyond that.

Upvote 0
Quick question. Are you trying to get sound out of the near-silent rear door speakers? Or just better sound by replacing already working speakers? I ask only because the rears barely work as a result of not being amped, if I remember right.

Apologies, I'm not going to be much help beyond that.
Well I actually have an access cab and I'm trying to upgrade the main door speakers

Upvote 0
Or to get more sound, just upgrade the headunit. The stock unit severely lowers the power level and volume to the rear speakers. When I upgraded my headunit I noticed a huge sound difference. As stated above I'd recommend an amp, or at least a headunit upgrade to make the most out of it. Tons of options for headunits. I have the Joying, but again tons of options.

Upvote 0
What year is your access cab?
Is it 6x9 front and 6.5 in the rear?

Should be plug and play. If you search around, you can see the popular Kicker Tweeter upgrade + Kicker speakers. Just need the little harness adapter and it will plug right into the factory wiring.

4 ohm is the correct impedance.
2 ohm if you have the JBL Premium setup. Max power handling wouldn't do any harm.

Links below.

Tweeter H631SFJ101 (Subaru Part)
Kicker 46CSC6934
Kicker 46CSC674

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back