Do you guys think there should be a limit on RotM submissions?

• 🤙Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum!
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Tyler

T3G Level: Legendary
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
We had SO many this month. It results in a dilution of votes, essentially lowering everyone’s chance of making it to the top.

Say there are 40 different members who voted in that thread so far. If those 40 members only had 10 photos to vote on, the outcome might be totally different.

But is it fair to limit submissions? What would the qualification/restriction for that even be?

CleanestPianist

T3G Level: Bronze
Military
Navy
T3G Member
#4,338
Probably just need different phases of voting, as suggested above.
Phase 1: Photo Submission & Initial votes casted.
Phase 2 Quarter Final: All photos that received more than one vote are voted on again, any that received one vote or less are disqualified. (This will clear up cluttered submissions).
Phase 3 Semi Final: Top 5 or 10 pictures are voted on (Or top XX% of pictures).
Phase 4 Final: Top Two pictures voted on again.
Phase 5 Results: Winner(s) is(are) announced.

CleanestPianist

Military
Navy
T3G Member
#4,338
Phase 2 Quarter Final: All photos that received more than one vote are voted on again, any that received one vote or less are disqualified. (This will clear up cluttered submissions).
You could also do away with Phase 2 all together, or put in a higher "Votes Required" (ie 5 votes minimum) in Phase 1 to advance to Phase 2.

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
I like where you guys are headed. I don’t want to overly complicate it, but something like this could work:

Submission thread opens (no voting)
Voting thread opens
Voting thread closes
Final voting thread opens for top 3-5 to be voted on

Up to you guys if you want a top 3, 4, or 5.

CleanestPianist

Military
Navy
T3G Member
#4,338
I would go top 3. In addition, if there's a draw, open it up to that additional entry.
Just to be clear, if you had:
1st - 17
2nd- 15
3rd - 14
4th - 14
5th - 12
Then 1st-4th would advance to final voting. But if it was something like:
1st - 17
2nd- 17
3rd - 14
4th - 12
5th - 10
Then it still remains top 3.

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
I would go top 3. In addition, if there's a draw, open it up to that additional entry.
Just to be clear, if you had:
1st - 17
2nd- 15
3rd - 14
4th - 14
5th - 12
Then 1st-4th would advance to final voting. But if it was something like:
1st - 17
2nd- 17
3rd - 14
4th - 12
5th - 10
Then it still remains top 3.
This makes sense. Thank you.

jchooley13

T3G Level: Gold
T3G Supporter
First Name
Justin
T3G Member
#3,111
I like where you guys are headed. I don’t want to overly complicate it, but something like this could work:

Submission thread opens (no voting)
Voting thread opens
Voting thread closes
Final voting thread opens for top 3-5 to be voted on

Up to you guys if you want a top 3, 4, or 5.
Top 5

nickyreno

T3G Level: Platinum
T3G Supporter
First Name
Nick
Military
Army (Vet.)
T3G Member
#5,704
You'd would want to be sure that the influx of submissions this month wasn't simply because of the stock truck theme. If it's isolated to the stock theme, then I would check to see if it could be mitigated by not allowing members to submit old pictures of their truck when it was stock, because damn near all of us had a stock truck at some point. If that's not what caused the influx, then great, two voting rounds fixes everything. But again you would want to be sure of what caused the influx because two voting rounds on a month of modded trucks that generally have less submissions to begin with could be redundant.

I would make it a requirement that submissions be nomination based. I think that would mitigate a lot of submissions that are obviously not going to earn a higher vote, and give you a pretty potent voting pool.

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
You'd would want to be sure that the influx of submissions this month wasn't simply because of the stock truck theme. If it's isolated to the stock theme, then I would check to see if it could be mitigated by not allowing members to submit old pictures of their truck when it was stock, because damn near all of us had a stock truck at some point. If that's not what caused the influx, then great, two voting rounds fixes everything. But again you would want to be sure of what caused the influx because two voting rounds on a month of modded trucks that generally have less submissions to begin with could be redundant.

I would make it a requirement that submissions be nomination based. I think that would mitigate a lot of submissions that are obviously not going to earn a higher vote, and give you a pretty potent voting pool.
That's a pretty good point too.

Rev N

T3G Level: Platinum
RotM Winner
T3G Supporter
T3G Member
#1,323
A) Run off voting seems like it might be a good idea but the fact that everyone can vote on each entry makes that more complicated. Maybe for round one voting you just have a cutoff for a number of votes and then for the next round you have one of those forum vote things where everyone can only vote once. I like the nomination idea too. There are too many pics of bone stock Tacos parked in driveways or at the lot.

B) I expect this will be less of a problem in the future when more people have won and can't try to win again for...was it 6 months? In the future I might not even enter unless I really want the prize so I don't get blocked from trying to win something I really want.

C) I think there is a minimum number of posts or something before you can enter, right? Otherwise we could get swarmed by bots or something. Also, is there a rule that the picture has to be for YOUR rig? I could see people searching the internet for the best picture and posting that.

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
A) Run off voting seems like it might be a good idea but the fact that everyone can vote on each entry makes that more complicated. Maybe for round one voting you just have a cutoff for a number of votes and then for the next round you have one of those forum vote things where everyone can only vote once. I like the nomination idea too. There are too many pics of bone stock Tacos parked in driveways or at the lot.

B) I expect this will be less of a problem in the future when more people have won and can't try to win again for...was it 6 months? In the future I might not even enter unless I really want the prize so I don't get blocked from trying to win something I really want.

C) I think there is a minimum number of posts or something before you can enter, right? Otherwise we could get swarmed by bots or something. Also, is there a rule that the picture has to be for YOUR rig? I could see people searching the internet for the best picture and posting that.
A) Using the forum poll system so people can only vote once in the final is a great idea.

B) 6 months, yes. And that's a smart strategy, lol.

C) You need 10 posts. It does need to be your rig, which I can verify. I check the eligibility of the winner before I announce it.

Jay

T3G Level: Onyx
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Jacob
Military
Navy
T3G Member
Let’s take all the winners and at the end of the year let’s do a rig of the year

Ericb269

First Name
Civicr269
Military
Army
T3G Member
#1,807
Seems totally fair.

UnAverage Joe

T3G Supporter
T3G Member
#5,869
I agree with the top 5 or 10 also. But this months "stock" wasn't quite stock on some...the restrictions were laxed it seems.

Top Bottom