• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

DIY Camp Shower

Berserker__taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Was looking for camp showers and stumbled across an idea for this. Most on the market were either absurdly expensive or cheap and cant be trusted. I've tried the bag showers in hunt camps before. Cold, no pressure, dont hold much water and about as durable as wet toilet paper. This thing cost around $50 to make and the kids enjoyed helping. Holds about 4 gallons of water and gets warm in the sun.
20200615_174830.jpg

I used 4in ABS.
1- 5ft length
1- threaded T cleanout
2- end caps
1- 3/4in hose spigot
1- shrader tank talve
1- 5ft garden hose extension and spray nozzle

Go heavy on the cement while assembling and make sure to coat threads with teflon tape and silicon. And apply generous amounts of silicon to front and backs of valves. I didnt have enough cement on the back end cap so it sprung a leak. Sawed it off and used a coupler to salvage the cap. 20lb of pressure gives a steady stream. Good enough to rinse dirty kids off and wash hands or freshen up.
20200615_173952.jpg

Sorry to be pedantic but you used silicone, not silicon. Great job, though!

Do you think PVC would be stronger and not need all that cement since it's designed to be under pressure? You'd have to paint it black, but that black ABS pipe is used for waste water under no or very low pressure.

-M

The ABS has a burst rating of 150psi for 4in pipe I believe. You can find the chart online. I'll post it if I can remember where to find it. PVC will def work also. I just chose ABS bc its black and wont need painted plus it won't have much pressure applied. Paint scrapes off PVC pretty easily.

I'm going to build one of these. I want to mount it to the underside of my racks though. I have a few ideas.

That's where I mounted mine. I used 2x4 aluminum and the XL quick fists.

OH! That looks fantastic. I'll look into the XL quick fists. Thank you!

OH! That looks fantastic. I'll look into the XL quick fists. Thank you!
Any time! Take a look for the Rhino Rack 4in conduit carrier as well. I'm more than likely going to switch out the Quick Fists for that unit. The rubber has a habit of sagging in high temps causing the tube to bounce just a little. In Moab it was 106° and I had to reset the straps a couple times.

How long does it take to heat up? Does it hold heat well? I've been looking into shower setups as well and I had my eye on the joolca hottap mainly because I know it will heat up with the propane.

How long does it take to heat up?
It all depends on the environment. If you're under good sun or hot weather it will heat up just fine. It will never get as hot as propane hot water tho. But it works fine for sweaty balls and sandy feet. It's not like home but it keeps you from going completely feral lol

I don't have a shower system now but I have used these: https://www.showerpill.com/

Once I build the back of the truck out more I'll probably look into more of a shower system

I forget what it's called but has anyone tried that cold water shower therapy? You basically take a freezing cold shower in the morning and then it doesn't matter what happens for the rest of the day because nothing will be worse then that cold shower lol

I had a friend try it with the hopes that it eventually would get better, spoiler: it never gets better lol

I don't have a shower system now but I have used these: https://www.showerpill.com/

Once I build the back of the truck out more I'll probably look into more of a shower system

I forget what it's called but has anyone tried that cold water shower therapy? You basically take a freezing cold shower in the morning and then it doesn't matter what happens for the rest of the day because nothing will be worse then that cold shower lol

I had a friend try it with the hopes that it eventually would get better, spoiler: it never gets better lol

I used to do that when I was piss drunk or hungover. Lol it helps I swear, at least it did for me. Don’t drink much anymore

Back